I cant lower KH

SethIstanbul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Friends,

I have a 120 liter aquarium with some corals ( Torch, 2 star polyps, some mushrooms, some Zoas ) and 3 fishes. ( 2 percula 1 Blue Tang Small )
I am doing weekly %20-25 water changes. I couldnt reduce the KH value to 8-9 range. It is always 11.6-12 range. ( Salifert test )
My calcium is 420, Nitrate is 10 ppm.

Should i worry about the KH values of 12? If so , how can i reduce it to a more safe value like 8-9?

Thank you for your helps,

Özgür

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Friends,

I have a 120 liter aquarium with some corals ( Torch, 2 star polyps, some mushrooms, some Zoas ) and 3 fishes. ( 2 percula 1 Blue Tang Small )
I am doing weekly %20-25 water changes. I couldnt reduce the KH value to 8-9 range. It is always 11.6-12 range. ( Salifert test )
My calcium is 420, Nitrate is 10 ppm.

Should i worry about the KH values of 12? If so , how can i reduce it to a more safe value like 8-9?

Thank you for your helps,

Özgür
Where's your nutrient levels at? Sounds like the alkalinity in your salt mix is keeping the levels where they are. As mentioned if everything is happy and levels are stable, there may be no issue at all.

If nutrients are also low and reduced alk is desired you can simply reduce the amount changed weekly.

OP
OP
S

SethIstanbul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where's your nutrient levels at? Sounds like the alkalinity in your salt mix is keeping the levels where they are. As mentioned if everything is happy and levels are stable, there may be no issue at all.

If nutrients are also low and reduced alk is desired you can simply reduce the amount changed weekly.
Sorry Jekyl not a expert yet. what do you mean by nutrients? ( Phospate, Nitrate? ) or some other elements?

I also dont use RODI, i am using bottled water.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry Jekyl not a expert yet. what do you mean by nutrients? ( Phospate, Nitrate? ) or some other elements?

I also dont use RODI, i am using bottled water.
Yes I meant nitrate and phosphate

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Jekyl said, with 25% weeks changes, the elevated alk is likely coming from the salt mix.
Maybe change to 10% weekly, don't sweat it, or pick a salt with lower alk..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back