Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8e66b01e9b477d5ed3dccccecb9b15e4.heic

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes! Well I know a little but not everything with regards to water chemistry! There are people here who are experts and I’m assuming they will jump in soon!

However right now I would say your main concern is your PH levels. I would go and buy a PH buffer from your LFS - take a look at this product!

Also a few questions

How long as your tank been running?

Did you cycle?

Are you using RODI water?

When was your last water change?

image.jpg

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use PH buffer.
First of all do you have livestock in this water? 2nd you water is not the worst, nitrite is much less harmful to marine fish than it is to fresh water fish. Randy has an article about it and I myself actually had experienced it. Not something to panic about. If you want to speed up the cycle use some MB7 or biospira.

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use PH buffer.
First of all do you have livestock in this water? 2nd you water is not the worst, nitrite is much less harmful to marine fish than it is to fresh water fish. Randy has an article about it and I myself actually had experienced it. Not something to panic about. If you want to speed up the cycle use some MB7 or biospira.
No you can use PH buffer if you need it... however we need to have more information before any of us can really help you

Xclusive Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I get it that this is your first post and all but you have to give us a little bit of info on your tank, setup etc if you want help.

How old is the tank?
did your use RODI?
how did you cycle the tank? and How long was your cycle?
what is currently in the tanks?
whats your salinity at?
how often you doing water changes?
when was last water change
did you dose anything to the tank that cause those reading?
do you have a sump and whats in it?

Yuyiboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop chasing your PH... I figured that out long ago. If you have nitrites and no nitrates... I think it is still cycling or a partial cycle. Anybody agree?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stop chasing your PH... I figured that out long ago. If you have nitrites and no nitrates... I think it is still cycling or a partial cycle. Anybody agree?

I don't think we know anything about his tank, but there are limits to the mantra some tout to not chase pH.
If his pH is really as low as that indicates, coral skeletons can slowly dissolve.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow nice detail catch. and the one on the other end is too full. that line matters for sure nice one

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might be the first time I've ever seen nitrites show up on an API test kit. Looks like the tank needs some maturing and a few good water changes.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Marine Buffer is not, IMO, an appropriate product for a reef aquarium, even if you need alkalinity. It contains too much borate.
What! I used this product...and I had problems with neomeris...and I JUST read that neomeris likes borate...is this true?
I reread that other post and it said neomeris likes boron and there was an possible issue with seachem salts being high in boron. But still wonder if Seachem products are not as trust worthy as I thought.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What! I used this product...and I had problems with neomeris...and I JUST read that neomeris likes borate...is this true?
I reread that other post and it said neomeris likes boron and there was an possible issue with seachem salts being high in boron. But still wonder if Seachem products are not as trust worthy as I thought.

Boron biochemistry is poorly understood, but I’d be very skeptical of claims that elevated borate in seawater encouraged the growth of a particular pest algae.

That said, I’d stop using any Marine Buffer for other reasons anyway.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back