My Waterbox 180.5 build.

bcurran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread will follow the progress of my Waterbox 180.5 build. I take a lot of advise and recommendations from eatsleepreef, because he seems very knowledgeable and we have the same tank. If you are following his thread mine will probably feel very similar.

My Tank (Mine is black)
I narrowed the tank I wanted down to a Red Sea or a Waterbox. I went with the Waterbox, mainly because I do not like how the ATO reservoir sits on top of the sump in the Red Sea. Also I read a lot online about how seams are coming apart in the larger Red Sea aquariums. (I later learned admin will not let you post anything negative on the Facebook Waterbox owners group)
180.5.jpg

Equipment:

Neptune Apex
I went with an Apex because lets face it, they are in a league of their own. As you continue you will see a lot of Neptune Systems products.
Apex.jpg

COR-20
I decided on the COR-20 because I wanted to go with a Neptune product and the 20 is stand alone. I knew I would be getting the system wet before I hooked up the Apex, because I wanted to take the time to build a controller cabinet but I didn't want it to hold up the cycle.

COR-pump-driver-together2.jpg

WAV
I originally wanted to go with MP-40's but decided on the WAV's at the last minute. I was looking for the smallest footprint possible on the sides of the tank and these seemed like the best option. With the flow these generate I may even try to put these on the back glass.

neptune-wav-kit-500.jpg

ATK
It was between this and the Tunze. I decided on the ATK because of its triple redundancy.
ATK_hero_1024x800.jpg

AFS
I need a auto feeder because due to my profession I am very busy, The AFS will take care of some of the routine feeding for me.
1151-500x500.jpg

DOS & DDR
I will have at least one DOS for auto water changes. I may skip the other DOS and DDR for a Calcium Reactor

19974_neptune-dos-and-ddr-combo_1.png

MPR
This product is pretty self explanatory.

neptune-systems-magnetic-probe-rack-_mpr_-98_5.jpg

BRS Titanium Heater x2
I am going to use two of these for redundancy.

600w-wifi-heater-bundle-1200x1200.jpg

Reef Octopus Classic 202-S When I started thinking about this build I knew I would be using a Reef Octopus. I decided on this one because it is pretty straight forward and I do not need a DC pump.

209568_octoclassic202s-a.jpg

MarcoRock RS Shelf Rock
I went with Reef Saver shelf rock because I like the look. If I had it to do over I probably would have went with Real Reef Rock.
211575-brs-exb-reefsaver-shelfrock-cv7-1.jpg

Carib Sea Fiji Pink
One of my LFS went out of business and I got this stuff for $10.00 a bag.

207432-caribsea-fiji-pink.jpg

Fritz Reef Pro
I read a lot of good reviews about this product and it it readily available at my LFS.
RPM_Reef_Pro_Mix_SeaSalt_Box_500_541_s.png

Hanna Instruments
I wanted to take the guess work out of my testing so I went with the best.

Hanna Checkers.png

Nyos Torq
I was going to go with the cheap BRS reactors but I was able to pick this guy up from the same LFS going out of business for $100.00 and I liked the reviews.

nyos_torq-2l_1.jpg

Kessil A360X Tuna Blue x3
I like all the reviews I've read on these light and decided they were the way to go.

41MjfVNwaYL._AC_.jpg

Skimz MBR 157
I have not purchased this item yet. I'm not sure I like the fact it has to go in the sump. I may decide to go with a Pax Bellum.

s-l400.jpg

Pentair Aquatics UV Sterilizer
I have not purchased this item yet. After some research I may go with a different product.

204905-Emperor-Aquatics-Smart-UV-40-Watt-a_1.jpg

Dr. Tim's One and Only
I will be doing a four month fishless cycle following the Dr. Tim's method. I will put some utilitarian fish in at two months and will not kick the lights on until the four month mark.( I'm hoping to avoid the ugly phase)

Dr. Tims.jpg

Purple Helix & Pink Fusion There is very little product reviews on this item. I was able to get it buy one get one on cyber Monday, so I'm gonna give it a try. I will let you know how it works.

combinedcorallinealgaewhite.jpg

Food I'm sure I will add to this list but this is where I'm going to start.

unnamed.jpg

pe-pellets-saltwater-group-e1587867965310.jpg

mysis.jpg

SeaVeggiesPurple30gm_500x500.jpg

Last edited:

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see it progress. Im starting to design my 275 gallon now with a 100 gallon sump. I'm choosing GHL over Neptune because I really like their products and their lighting is really nice. Will be following along to see your progress.

OP
OP
bcurran

bcurran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see it progress. Im starting to design my 275 gallon now with a 100 gallon sump. I'm choosing GHL over Neptune because I really like their products and their lighting is really nice. Will be following along to see your progress.
I will update as much as I can.

Jminasalli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you run all the stock plumbing or did you do your own? I just finished plumbing my wb 180.5 today I was waiting on the return section because the original box didn’t come with it.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna end up doing some minor plumbing. I want to add a COR-15 for redundancy. I will add a UV and an algae reactor but I will probably send those through the manifold.
I'm a believer in the redundancy thing as well. I'll be running dual eco-tech vectra L2's for my returns. Dual 50 watt UV sterilizers as well.

Aub_C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the first fish is..............
46332458-EAC8-4152-89DF-D408968E5B16.jpeg

White tail bristletooth tang.

I have a white tail bristletooth tang. He is a hard worker. Great fish!

I really like what you did with the white and orange power cords on the energy bar. Are those covers or do they come that way?

OP
OP
bcurran

bcurran

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a white tail bristletooth tang. He is a hard worker. Great fish!

I really like what you did with the white and orange power cords on the energy bar. Are those covers or do they come that way?
I made them. I borrowed the idea from a youtuber. They were super easy to make.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back