My Wife hates my Blues, Can’t be the Only one???

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some water change brother.
1699979160974.png

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its funny, my wife says the same thing. I had T5 fixtures with blue bulbs and she hated the blue light. I added some freshwater kessils (white light) in with the T5s to diffuse the blue. Its an odd light combo but it honestly worked great. I was able to grow high light corals no problem. I actually preferred the white because I felt it made the fish pop more. Under the blue lights the fish don't look as good.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m convinced most reefers have never been to the ocean. Corals do not glow. The blue tanks look bad.
What’s wrong with corals that fluoresce and glow? They naturally produce those pigments.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear the light mess with their eyes, best way to remedy that is to use ambient lighting in the room. I have hue lights so I turn those different colors or cool white or 6500k to create a more whiter tank and disperse the blue light in the room. It works without me touching my tank lights

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at this link about coral coloration and lighting. A wide blue band is needed to excite all the fluorescent proteins. White/yellow light is needed for chromoproteins.

You do need some white for coral chromoproteins and color rendition, so I personally dislike ALL blue lighting, but I am a big fan of higher blues. Some corals need deep red lights for photosynthesis, too.

IMG_7333.jpeg

Last edited:

TastyScrants

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not a fan of the blue either, the radiant blue light in the room makes me feel like I have a migraine!

I set my blues to what the corals need, then increase the white until the light is aesthetically pleasing for me.

You could install some 3D printed shades to reduce light spill into the room, I did for my reefled 90s and it’s made a big difference. I’ll be doing the same for my XR15 Pros if Black Friday brings a good deal on them!!

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not a fan of the blue either, the radiant blue light in the room makes me feel like I have a migraine!

I set my blues to what the corals need, then increase the white until the light is aesthetically pleasing for me.

You could install some 3D printed shades to reduce light spill into the room, I did for my reefled 90s and it’s made a big difference. I’ll be doing the same for my XR15 Pros if Black Friday brings a good deal on them!!
U def need the shade for the radions but the redsea led 90s were recessed enough and although bright, did not shine directly into your eyes if sitting and viewing. Ran that light 100% both channels.

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I despise blues, never understood how the trend took off. "Back in my day..." :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Seriously though, I've always preferred the richness that comes with full spectrum lighting. Greens, yellows, reds, purples, browns, the whole lot!

ReefTemp3.jpg

I'm sorry, but i'm just 'never' going to be impressed, amazed or wowed by windex blue tanks. :p

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ad some 3d printed shades to the lights to reduce glare inside the house. Put some shades in the window so your house does not shine a blue beacon into the street. Marijuana plants are commonly grown under a mix of light spectrum that looks purple so no issues on that front!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Fellow Aquarists,

My wife absolutely loves the tank, but she’s also an interior designer, and hates my deep blues…especially at night thru front window!

She understands that this is what corals like, but hates the aesthetics.

I run my lights from 11am to 8pm, 3 Radion XR30 G6 Pros, currently run the AB+ template.

I am curious to your thoughts of running normal AB+ schedule from 11am to 5pm, then a user made more “natural” light with whites from 5:30-8pm?

Am I opening myself up for disaster with algae growth?

I know I am not the only husband with these feedback from wife that the neighbors “must think we are growing some high power marijuana?”

Thank you in advance, curious to your thoughts!

MH

IMG_8577.jpeg IMG_8571.jpeg 71884921391__59F8F016-F3FA-4CE9-A03C-27B9072D3CD9.jpeg
Totally Agee

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The blue hate crowd is out in numbers!

It's always just felt elitist or kinda gatekeepy to me. As long as stuff is growing, enjoy your tank however you like. I too enjoy heavier blues.
It always felt like the colors were completely artificial - and possibly representative of a coral with stress.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back