My Y2K 75 - A Retro Build Thread

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone had posted today to ask if it was ok to post build threads of tanks that were put together years ago. This is actually something I had thought of doing a while back, but figured there wouldn't be many people interested and never started it. After a little encouragement, I decided to see how this goes. If there is interest in seeing this, I will continue. If not, it will just fade away. :)

I was no stranger to saltwater tanks in 1999, I had kept a number of fish only tanks from the early 80s. There was a time that I had a 200, 77, 58, a 48 "flatback" and a 10 gallon all running at the same time in my small house. I decided (with my wife's encouragement) that we needed room for real furniture, so all of the tanks were sold. That was about 1995. The sound of a house void of all aquariums was a bit unsettling at first. It was too quiet! :)

Well, being out of the hobby completely wasn't going to work, so I decided after a few years on a modestly sized 75 gallon Oceanic tank that I would attempt to turn into my first real reef tank. This is still my favorite tank that I have ever had, even though I went to a 140 about 7 years later. I hope some of you will enjoy at a look back at reefing almost 20 years ago. I have lots of pictures of this tank coming together to show. I know I got nothing on @PaulB, but I thought I would share this tank, since it never had a build thread and may have deserved one.

So here goes. I went down to a new LFS (Mosaic Marine) and ordered the tank and a custom made cypress stand. A local cabinet maker was making stands for them. I love cypress, so that was an easy choice of materials.

The tank:
P0010804.JPG

The stand and canopy:

P0010500-sm.jpg

The staining process:

P0010801.JPG

I decided to drill the tank myself, since I have a commercial glass drill that I conned a LFS into giving me when they closed up shop. I still have the drill and it has drilled many holes over the years. So, it was time to drill for my custom built overflow.

P0010896-ed.jpg

I decided to build an overflow that would skim the surface for most of the length of the tank. This was something I just thought of and it was long before I had ever heard of a "Calfo or Coast to Coast" overflow. I built it out of dark tinted glass. This is how that looked:

P0010841-ed.jpg

P0010903.JPG

My lights were 2 250 watt metal halides and 4 VHO bulbs. There is a lsrge flat reflector on the underside of the canopy.
P0011165.JPG

P0011232-sm.jpg

My first filter / sump was a Tidepool. Ibuilt a 16 gallon ATO reservoir that fit well inside of the stand.
That huge Bio-Ball chamber in back of the stand was my first mistake. This is the only biological filter that I knew of from my early years in the hobby. That, plus the huge bio wheel inside of the sump. I had no shortage of nitrates! It was a learning process. This would all be removed by the end of the first year. :) There was also a skimmer that was a DIY from a local reefer. How loing has it been since anyone bought a DIY skimmer from another reefer? :)
P0010906.JPG

My plumbing of my overflow and returns.
P0010923-ed.jpg

My IceCap light timers. These were actually pretty nice timers and wish they still made them.
P0011033.JPG

My VHO & halide ballasts mounted inside the stand and under the tank. I added a panel to mount these neatly and out of the way. They were also easy to get to if I needed to change them.
P0011034.JPG

I also had a Pinpoint pH and ORP monitor mounted on the inside of the door. That's a Red Sea Wavemaker is located under the ATO reservoir and a UV sterilizer in between the ATO and sump.

P0011319-sm.jpg

Then it was time for some Walt Smith Premium Fiji Rock!
P0011334.JPG

Here it is all set up and running. Note the "invisible" overflow at the back of the tank.
P0011344.JPG

Well, that's enough of a start to see if this concept of an old build thread warrants interest from other R2R folks. Hope you are enjoying it so far. :)

Mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap that bring up memories. Red sea wavemaker with maxi jets was high tech back the. Now I’m tempted to do a retro build on my iwasaki lit 75 with ETS skimmer. I also still have an inland aquatics original dump bucket ATS in the closet I’ve been tempted to redeploy now that ATS is cool again!

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome! We’re these pics actual photos on film?
Thanks! No, I think I was on my third digital camera by this point. I think these were taken with my Nikon digital, but this was before the DSLRs, I think. I started buying digitals when Sony first came out with the Mavika. It was pretty neat for its time, but pretty poor quality nowadays. I mean you could get a dozen pics on a floppy. Then I jumped to the Kodak, the Nikon and an Olympus. I was trying them all. :)
Very nice. A tank thread does not have to be a build thread in my opinion.
Thank you. It was a good tank. I miss it.
I’m in! Turn the page! :)
Thank you, I appreciate you following.
I'm tagging along. ;Shy;Shy;Shy
Thanks, I hope you enjoy the ride. :)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap that bring up memories. Red sea wavemaker with maxi jets was high tech back the. Now I’m tempted to do a retro build on my iwasaki lit 75 with ETS skimmer. I also still have an inland aquatics original dump bucket ATS in the closet I’ve been tempted to redeploy now that ATS is cool again!
I think you should. I think it would be great for the younger reefers to see the roots of their hobby. It is funny how the old tech is now rediscovered and implemented today.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have so many bio balls in my garage lol :) thanks for sharing!!
Me too. I have a big trash bag of them up in my attic. :)

Years before I built this tank, the first real reef tank I ever saw was back in the 80s at the LFS. Albert Thiel was working for Dupla USA back then and the LFS had just become a Dupla authorized dealer. Thiel was at their store and set up a 58 gallon reef tank display. It was the first time I saw metal halide lighting and was awestruck at the shimmer and the stunning look of the tank under them. I remember he drilled a single return - on the bottom left front corner and stuck a 45° pvc fitting in the tank and a ball check valve just under the tank. There was a mercury float switch in the sump. The pump would send water through the bottom of the tank and when the return section was almost empty, the switch would cut off the pump. The ball check valve (which rattled the whole time the pump was on) would stop the back flow. When the water drained back down the overflow and refilled the return siction of the sump, the pump would turn back on. It really made for neat flow inside the tank. The tank was set up for a couple of years and that ball check valve never leaked. I don't think many people would try that nowadays, but it was cool. I still have parts of this system, like the remains of the old Dupla Sunpower HQI MH fixture and that mercury float switch. :)

As a side note, I invited Albert Thiel to my house to give me some advice on my 200 gallon tank that I was considering turning into a reef. He came over and we chatted a while and it became evident at the time that I probably couldn't afford to go with all of the Dupla equipment. I would need two of those Sunpower fixtures and even in the mid 80s that light was $800. Ha.

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still retro reefing, but WOW you did some nice work!
Thanks. I had lots of practice when I built my 200. I can't believe I didn't take many pictures of that tank. I have no photos of the huge wet/dry filter I built out of glass for it. It was quite a project. :)

OP
OP
Fin

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure wish we lived close. I could learn a lot from you.
Thanks, but I learned most of what I know from a much more talented reefer where I live. I am sad that he is out of the hobby now. He used to have an outdoor greenhouse coral propagation operation set up in his back yard. I got lots of great livestock from him and lots of ideas.

Definitely a pioneer! Love the overflow!
Ha! I don't know about the pioneer reference. I was just trying to figure out how to best hide stuff inside the tank. I didn't want to see anything but coral and fish. I eventually even wrapped those white pvc returns with thin black vinyl from a trash bag, so you couldn't see them either.

The overflow was nice to have. I think it was 40" long and six" tall. I believe it stuck out in the tank about 1½". When the tank came down, about 3/4 of the overflow was covered with a Montipora Digitata that had spread across the surface, hiding it even more. It had two 1" drains that tied into one 1½" drain to the sump. It had two removable glass lids on either side of the center brace to keep fish and algae out. It had a single row of eggcrate material for a screen, but it was attached to the tops and did not touch the overflow itself. So, there was a thin gap of about ¼" where the water entered the overflow. The eggcrate just kept the fish and critters out of the overflow.

Fin, your story of you and Albert Thiel is priceless! Truly one of the pioneers of reef keeping! Thanks for sharing!
Of course, at the time, I don't think many people knew he would end up a reefing guru. He was just a guy that worked for Dupla to me. I do wish I had taken a picture with him, but that would have been kind of odd. Like taking a picture with your A/C repair man. Ha!

I remember the Thiel Platinum filters, and also the wet dry's from JP Burleson, who also distributed Tunze and Actinic 03's to America.
One piece of equipment I wish I still had was one of the Dupla pumps. It was an external pump that I had on my 200. It was all stainless steel inside. No plastic parts that I can recall. It was dead silent. It was so quiet that I had to touch it to make sure it was warm and know that it was still running. :)

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember the Thiel Platinum filters, and also the wet dry's from JP Burleson, who also distributed Tunze and Actinic 03's to America.

I purchased my first wet-dry from John Burleson back in the 80’s and I remember waiting patiently for the first batch of actinic O3’s to arrive from holland :)

Note*** the elegance in my avatar came from John

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back