My Zoas ignore ReefRoids - What else?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to feed my zoas to promote grow.

I've made a ReefRoid solution many many times.

Upon putting a squirt of ReefRoids over them and letting it trickledown, most don't respond.

No close up and swallowing the food. I've done this in stagnant water and allow 1hr for the particulate to sloooowly trickledown

I've read to try squirting

*R.O.E. - which are fish eggs but the price per bottle is pretty high

* Blendered mysis - take the juice and squirter it. Seems pricey too.

QUESTION: I'm all about finding DIY foods that are as close to raw as possible...

Is there a fish egg liquid product that zoas will love and I could buy at a seafood deli counter?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer an aminos since the corals don't need to "capture" it like others. Glycine is the particular one to look for in a DIY. Glutathione is another

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll link some papers here

https://scholarspace.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/10125/4286/vol25n4-512-520.pdf

The dissertation is a great read.

Last edited:

StevenHasCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Upon putting a squirt of ReefRoids over them and letting it trickledown, most don't respond.

No close up and swallowing the food. I've done this in stagnant water and allow 1hr for the particulate to sloooowly trickledown

QUESTION: I'm all about finding DIY foods that are as close to raw as possible...

Is there a fish egg liquid product that zoas will love and I could buy at a seafood deli counter?

I use Red Sea AB+, marine snow, and reef roids as a concoction and I get great growth and color

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't regularly feed my zoas. Occassionally if i feel like it I'll feed larger ones (think utter chaos) mysis because its fun to watch. Smaller ones, if theres particulate left over after feeding mysis to my fish/lps I'll sometimes blow that over zoas. Sometimes they react, i dont know if they eat anything, but most of my zoas spread quickly (for me), regardless if i feed them.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing a lot of choices when it comes to eggs for coral food on ebay

Decapitated brine shrimp eggs
Oyster eggs
Different fish roe

Makes my head hurt

I'm just looking for smthg that can become liquid and I squirter it, the zoas ingest it and populate. Too much to ask?

i mean I'll spend the $40-$50 a bottle of OysterFeast or ROE if thst means I can feed zoas into really spreading.

iI just don't want to be a
FOOL spending lots of money on OF or ROE when I could find smthg I can mix and make myself for $10/bottle not $50

Last edited:

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found dosing Red Sea AB+ before feeding reef roids helped with a better feeding response from corals. They open their polyps and are ready to feed.

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many zoas are you talking about?
Do you mean a few frags in your dt or are you after a more commercial operation?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are poor heterotrophic feeders, thus likely don't benefit much from the majority of feedings. Other than the addition of glycine and glutathione (or dead fish), I wouldn't bother trying to feed them.

OP
OP
ZoWhat

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are poor heterotrophic feeders, thus likely don't benefit much from the majority of feedings. Other than the addition of glycine and glutathione (or dead fish), I wouldn't bother trying to feed them.

So does one go out on Amazon and buy lab grade glycine and glutathione

....then make a solution and dose every am or pm?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does one go out on Amazon and buy lab grade glycine and glutathione

....then make a solution and dose every am or pm?

I haven't yet done that but I plan on soon buying both, as well as alanine and aspartic acid to dose in some manner. I have seen several on here who make DIY amino products so it might be handy to search and pm them.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Make some thick kalkwasser paste and squirt a little on the oral disk. I guarantee it will react. ;)

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure they're not eating? They don't have to close up to capture small particles like reef roads. Many corals use their mucus to collect such particles and that gets sucked into the mouth slowly. You can only see this process with a good macro lens and a timelapse. Otherwise you'd have to compare growth with and without feedimg.

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs >>> Egg Brew.

The zoas that take food go crazy for it along with everything else in my tank. It’s eggs with some sort of a slurry that corals be lovin. If you want, I’ll feed some tomorrow and record a video of zoas.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs >>> Egg Brew.

The zoas that take food go crazy for it along with everything else in my tank. It’s eggs with some sort of a slurry that corals be lovin. If you want, I’ll feed some tomorrow and record a video of zoas.
I can vouch for brs. Some of my larger zoas do react visibly to that.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-

Zoa, I only just noticed this was your question and I know I have shown you this before. I will leave it up in case others are interested,

This is how I feed them reef roids. Most of mine respond immediately, some slowly and I have one or two out of twenty that do not respond, but slowly eat it if you leave it on top of them. Here is one that responds quickly and one that responds slowly.

What goes in must come out!
One or two days later:

1641357909838.png

Last edited:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I can't definitely say the food I'm adding to my tank for my torch corals is doing it for the zoanthids, but the few zoanthids I have in my 66 gallon tank have really, really taken off. I started with about a dozen purple monsters a few months ago and they have grown to 40-50. The eagle eyes have really taken off too.
I use Barrier Reef Labs, Reef Roids and Benepets once per week .
I also use Polyp Lab and Reef Energy AB+ once a week.
My goal was more towards the euphylia, but it seems the few zoanthids I have like it too.

Utubereefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use BRS reef chili and Benepets powder. As well as American reef HPD powder that i mix with hot water then freeze flat in a ziplock bag. I then break off chunks and put them on a veggie clip
8143A366-DD19-4795-8BD7-1AB683F1FE2B.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back