Mysterious black long tentacles

SmokeyTheReefer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 4, 2023
Messages
10
Reaction score
5
Location
Fort Lauderdale
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this acro yesterday, and we noticed these long black tentacles coming out of what kinda looks like a barnacle on the base of the acro. It flows with the current. We thought it was a tiny urchin or something. Just making sure it's not a problem. Hopefully the picture can be good enough to identify. TIA!
43b95bd7-352a-4404-a0f3-ca9b39ebe5af.jpg
 
😂😂 sorry I couldnt resist! Ive got no clue what that is but thats what came to mind 😂 @ISpeakForTheSeas ?
I am super late on this, but any chance of white light pics/video, OP? If not, my first thoughts would be either a barnacle or a cage worm (family Flabelligeridae; not all species look similar to this, but some - like those of the Daylithos genus - do) from what I can see of the "tentacles" in the video.

There's not much info that I can find on cage worm diets, but I wouldn't expect them to be very harmful if harmful at all; barnacles are generally harmless with some exception for coral-boring barnacles (where the barnacle is literally growing inside the coral; this causes deformed growth, and if the coral is small enough/the barnacle big enough, sometimes the death of the coral colony).
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new