Mysterious montipora damage?

SimplyVibing

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
269
Reaction score
160
Location
NW Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this montipora for about two months now. I did a water test to rule out parameters:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm
Ph: 8.2
Calcium: 400 mg/L
KH: 190ish ppm
Phosphate: 0.25ppm max (probably 0, I’m using API and it *always* tests 0.25ppm no matter what)
Salinity: 1.0255
Temp: 76ish F

The damage looked like bleaching at first, but now it kinda looks like someone has nibbled on the edges. New tank inhabitants include a very small Valentini Pufferfish and a yellow long-nose butterflyfish.

Another thing to consider is that it doesn’t get a huge amount of flow, but high light.

7CD81061-1EB4-45EB-99F6-AFC7BFC2F0FC.jpeg
 
It looks like it’s been burned on the edges where the light is hitting it most. I would switch to a test kit other than api. Your po4 is probably way higher than .25 if you testing with api and I doubt it’s actually zero. If your using api for any other tests like nitrate it’s probably more like 30 ppm nitrates and not 5.
 
Any chance you have an urchin? I recently had similar damage on a coral, then another, and another. Caught him red handed munching my pipe organ coral.
 
Any chance you have an urchin? I recently had similar damage on a coral, then another, and another. Caught him red handed munching my pipe organ coral.

I DO have an urchin! And he enjoys trying to pick up any coral in his path. I’ll keep an eye on him. Thanks!
 
It looks like it’s been burned on the edges where the light is hitting it most. I would switch to a test kit other than api. Your po4 is probably way higher than .25 if you testing with api and I doubt it’s actually zero. If your using api for any other tests like nitrate it’s probably more like 30 ppm nitrates and not 5.

I use API for everything. I would love to switch test kits but I’m super broke....
 
Looks like either urchin damage or High KH
 
Looks like either urchin damage or High KH

Hi! Urchin damage is possible. I was unaware KH could damage coral, mine is about 190. Is that to high?

Edit: did some digging and that’s the normal range. Not the culprit
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new