Mystery Coral... ID needed

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Hollywood Stunner that I removed months ago. I was able to remove the chalice so not a trace was left, so I thought. I then glued a new rock in its place and placed coral on that rock. I’ve noticed something orange growing but today I got a good look at it. What in the world is this? I never noticed any orange on the Hollywood which is why I’m stumped.

2EF51AE4-DA14-4DD4-B77C-7E2540D12886.jpeg
B40F500C-1914-429D-9A38-29F4C9025E17.jpeg
AF9E0618-83BA-4D70-B2A3-5C80A9365AA3.jpeg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to me that it has characteristics of a Mussid, leaning towards a Blastomussa (best guess is B. merletti):

1. Circular form
2. Corallites not large (looks like maybe 1" across, but likely less when comparing with the Calaustrea)
3. Thin longish tentacles around the rim
4. Center of disk area relatively large and of a contrasting color to the thick outer edge

Can you see any small buds developing from the outer tissue area? Do they accept meaty foods?

Very interesting color. I've seen this bright yellow and/or orange color develop in Blastomussa and Micromussa ('Acans') when new polyps are very heavily shaded, but then when they get more typical reef lighting intensities the colors morph into the more typical colors.

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you see any small buds developing from the outer tissue area?

I cannot see anything except what I got in the pictures. For the most part the large one is getting direct light. The little ones not so much.

Do they accept meaty foods?

I have no clue.

Very interesting color. I've seen this bright yellow and/or orange color develop in Blastomussa and Micromussa ('Acans') when new polyps are very heavily shaded, but then when they get more typical reef lighting intensities the colors morph into the more typical colors.

You mention Blastos. I had one on a frag rack not 4 inches from that spot for the longest time. Within the last two weeks I moved it to the sand bed. Is it possible it spawned in some way and it’s a coincidence it’s where the Hollywood stunner was. Or is it possibly some morph of the stunner growing back from a tiny remnant. What a mystery! Thank you for your help.

D219B962-D1AE-4DE9-BAFA-C4308E6DD549.jpeg

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that's a Blastomussa merletti.

It's possible that you might have had some Blasto polyp bailout occur and then a resettlement. You'd need to get a closer look at it or let it grow out some more. Try feeding it and see what kind of reaction you get (if it closes up quickly I'd suspect it's a Blasto).

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tile had like 5-6 and now has almost 8 polyps. Are they known to spawn? I never noticed losing one. The things we find on our reef. LOL

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tile had like 5-6 and now has almost 8 polyps. Are they known to spawn? I never noticed losing one. The things we find on our reef. LOL

Have never heard of Blastomussa spawning in our reef aquariums. More likely (but still somewhat rare) with LPS is a 'polyp bailout' where the animal leaves the skeleton behind to find greener pastures, but this typically occurs only when conditions are very much not to their liking.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have never heard of Blastomussa spawning in our reef aquariums. More likely (but still somewhat rare) with LPS is a 'polyp bailout' where the animal leaves the skeleton behind to find greener pastures, but this typically occurs only when conditions are very much not to their liking.

Thank you for the insight. Who doesn’t love a free coral. Hahaha

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back