Mystery leak

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone seen anything like this before? I have a 25 gallon bowfront. The other day I noticed that the carpet around the tank was damp and starting to smell a bit, and it wasn’t going away. I moved the whole tank, dried out the carpet, and then moved the tank back, this time on top of a doormat with a rubberized bottom. When I moved the tank out, there were two definite damp spots at the front corners of the stand. The stand itself is bone dry on the inside, there is nothing dripping out of the HOB filter, there is nothing dripping down the outsides of the aquarium or stand.
Today I go back and check and the carpet is wet underneath the mat! To make it more bizarre, the top of the mat is dry. There is no condensation on the lid of the tank that could be dripping. I feel like someone is playing a prank on me because I don’t understand how enough water to make the carpet visibly damp could move from the aquarium to underneath a rubberized mat without leaving any signs in between!!! Anyone have any ideas?

also, the stand is custom and is painted in marine varnish, so I can’t imagine water is seeping through the wood itself.

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you spill it when filling

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Condensation maybe?

OP
OP
T

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got a dog?
Honestly my cat became suspect number one but it doesn’t smell bad enough.

I have moved the aquarium all the way out of the room. I see signs of previous water issues that are now dry, so my current theory is that I had something faulty that was causing water to drip out but which I fixed, maybe without even noticing, for example during a filter cleaning session

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check your silicon seams closely.. sometimes they will fail and start to leak which of course Is a bad sign of future things to come.
could be a leak in the bottom seem dripping down the back stand and onto the floor

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back