Mystery Murder or Death by Unknown Cause

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found one of my fire shrimp lying on the bottom this afternoon. The other fire shrimp and two skunk shrimps all appear fine. Not sure what got him or whether he just croaked for an unknown reason. The only things that could have stung him are three Goniopora close to the bottom of the tank, but he was lying well away from them. There is also a small branching hammer, but he never gets close to it. The abrasions on its side are where I grabbed it with some long tweezers. It’s about 2” long so I would think it is not that old. I’ve had it for about 4 months. Any ideas?
640F3D69-F620-41D2-A9EF-ACEA25AC6960.jpeg

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish group is four tangs (Purple, PB, Hippo and Tomini), two Bellus anglefish (one male and one female) and 6 Chromis about 1 1/2 long. Have never seen and real aggression from anyone. The Purple tang is tank boss. The Purple, PB and male Bellus are all about 5” long.

parameters are good and very stable.

salt. 35.0
PH. 8.1-8.25
temp. 79.5-80.5
NO3. 11.3
PO4. 0.04
Alk. 7.9
Ca. 480
Mag. 1570

Daily 2 gallon water change using Reef Crystals.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding is twice a day, morning and late afternoon. About cube and a half of various different frozen, flake and pellet foods each time with two algae clips a day around noon. I like the heavy in, heavy out theme.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding is twice a day, morning and late afternoon. About cube and a half of various different frozen, flake and pellet foods each time with two algae clips a day around noon. I like the heavy in, heavy out theme.
My guess is either an unexpected death -or- something took a poke at it.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SO not something we can easily test in home aquarium, but wondering Iodine level given use of Reef Crystals as your salt. An ICP test would confirm your iodine level.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got the three Gonis, I put them real close to where one of the fire shrimp hang out. Could he have gotten stung by them?
C8167725-7346-4773-8D12-07A1E339DA9E.jpeg

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO not something we can easily test in home aquarium, but wondering Iodine level given use of Reef Crystals as your salt. An ICP test would confirm your iodine level.
I’ve never done an ICP test, but maybe it’s time I do. How do you go about doing it?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never done an ICP test, but maybe it’s time I do. How do you go about doing it?

This is the post which really helped me decide which ICP test I wanted to first get. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cont...h-service-is-right-for-you?brs-source=mdredir

Interestingly, the post has aged enough that the company I wanted to use has a different website than listed by the testing service. After searching around, found them rebranded as www.aquariumwatertesting.com

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the post which really helped me decide which ICP test I wanted to first get. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cont...h-service-is-right-for-you?brs-source=mdredir

Interestingly, the post has aged enough that the company I wanted to use has a different website than listed by the testing service. After searching around, found them rebranded as www.aquariumwatertesting.com
I’ll check it out. It’s been something I wanted to do, just haven’t gotten to it yet.

So you’re a DFW guy. I i did grade school in Fort Worth and then we moved to Cleburne. Haven’t been back there in ages. Bet it’s changed a lot.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got the three Gonis, I put them real close to where one of the fire shrimp hang out. Could he have gotten stung by them?
It's very unlikely that it's any corals. More likely that something took a swipe at it (or as mentioned, some of your trace elements could be off).

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's very unlikely that it's any corals. More likely that something took a swipe at it (or as mentioned, some of your trace elements could be off).
Or, it could be he was a lot older than I thought and just died of old age. I’ll get an ICP test and see how everything looks.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how bad water is a reasonable conclusion with two other healthy shrimp. If another dies soon maybe but more than likely it died of old age or a failed molt or something.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll check it out. It’s been something I wanted to do, just haven’t gotten to it yet.

So you’re a DFW guy. I i did grade school in Fort Worth and then we moved to Cleburne. Haven’t been back there in ages. Bet it’s changed a lot.
I'm an East Coast gal having transplanted to DFW about 8-10 years ago. It has changed just in the little bit I've been here, so its likely going to seem like a bigger change when you come back to visit.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see how bad water is a reasonable conclusion with two other healthy shrimp. If another dies soon maybe but more than likely it died of old age or a failed molt or something.

failed molt was my thought which is why I suggested iodine check. They need a bit (and *just* a bit) to be able to slide off shells. Its one of those trace elements that dosing might be just a drop, and even then salt water changes likely take care of it... but Reef Crystals consistency comes up so that's why I was thinking an ICP test to just rule it out.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
failed molt was my thought which is why I suggested iodine check. They need a bit (and *just* a bit) to be able to slide off shells. Its one of those trace elements that dosing might be just a drop, and even then salt water changes likely take care of it... but Reef Crystals consistency comes up so that's why I was thinking an ICP test to just rule it out.
I'm just so skeptical of ICP tests. Seems every time people try to verify the accuracy by sending samples to multiple facilities it's like the results are randomized.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’m thinking everyone it right. Found the second fire shrimp today. Looks like he had been dead a few days. I saw one of the two skunk shrimp last night, but can’t find them today. I’m working on getting an ICP test going asap, but trying to decide if I should go ahead and start dosing trace elements now. It’s all set up and ready to go, I just didn’t think I needed it yet since the corals are growing so well. I’m going to WWC tomorrow to pick up my Black Friday Flash sale corals. They always give me excellent advise. They know my system really well and will lead me correctly.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I’m thinking everyone it right. Found the second fire shrimp today. Looks like he had been dead a few days. I saw one of the two skunk shrimp last night, but can’t find them today. I’m working on getting an ICP test going asap, but trying to decide if I should go ahead and start dosing trace elements now. It’s all set up and ready to go, I just didn’t think I needed it yet since the corals are growing so well. I’m going to WWC tomorrow to pick up my Black Friday Flash sale corals. They always give me excellent advise. They know my system really well and will lead me correctly.

Sorry for your losses.

You might pickup a small bottle of iodine at WWC or other LFS and when you read the bottle you'll know how many drops you should add for your tank... and you might not ever need to do it again.

You might also try doing water change with non-Reef Crystals/different salt that contains iodine... it likely will cost you more than iodine bottle but there might be other missing trace elements you can bring back with just different salt mix for 1 or couple time water change.

I'm not a fan of dosing trace elements without knowing what is missing, and despite above ICP concern, as hobbyists ICP is all we've got to go on for trace element testing.

VOTE ICP TEST BEFORE ANYTHING... but if you are scared for your skunk shrimp right now, if you were local I'd give you some drops from my bottle...

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses.

You might pickup a small bottle of iodine at WWC or other LFS and when you read the bottle you'll know how many drops you should add for your tank... and you might not ever need to do it again.

You might also try doing water change with non-Reef Crystals/different salt that contains iodine... it likely will cost you more than iodine bottle but there might be other missing trace elements you can bring back with just different salt mix for 1 or couple time water change.

I'm not a fan of dosing trace elements without knowing what is missing, and despite above ICP concern, as hobbyists ICP is all we've got to go on for trace element testing.

VOTE ICP TEST BEFORE ANYTHING... but if you are scared for your skunk shrimp right now, if you were local I'd give you some drops from my bottle...
Thank you so much. Got iodine on my list. Alex at WWC won’t let me do anything I shouldn’t. If the skunks are still alive, we’ll figure out how to save them. Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found one of my skunk shrimp this morning. Wow! She’s loaded with eggs. Hopefully she’s doing okay.
504CF621-1798-4F0A-AFBA-D793FD41C12F.jpeg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back