Mystery recovery of an acan / micromussa

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to make this long story short. I was in a very well known and trusted LFS that's owned his shop for over 20 years locally. He passes on savings often from tank tear downs. I was in the shop nearly a year ago after a very old tank was torn down. There was this little tidbit of a frag sitting there that was smaller than my pinky nail. It had been scraped off the live rock. It never grew for them to even find out what it was. It was that small. So I gave $5 for a mission to recover this coral to see what it was. I spend the better part of a year moving this frag. It never puffed up but resembled an acan that was dying. I've got tons of acans and they are pretty easy to please. The assumption was this was a piece from wild rock so no one knew what it was. Eventually I moved up to a larger tank and just shoved this frag in a shaded area with nearly 0 flow. I figured Id move it again once I had my other corals placed and happy. Within weeks it finally emerged. And it began to grow rapidly. I started feeding daily. Now I have a very hard to please acan it appears. The heads are now massive measuring close to an inch and a quarter each. The craziest thing is the flessy "bounce" type growth it shown since it finally appeared. It's just the run of the mill acan but I do like the appearance. But it is aggressive towards other acans. It's still somewhat of a mystery what exactly it is but I've made a spot for it to grow in full shade with only a touch of light coming from reflection off glass. Anyone else had such a hard acan they've dealt with?

IMG_20190602_095053.jpg

IMG_20190531_173107.jpg

Screenshot_20190602-095142.jpg

Screenshot_20190602-100718.jpg

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful acan...color and shape. Puzzled by you saying it is aggressive towards other acans. Typically I only think echinata as aggressive with sweepers

OP
OP
Aaronhome27

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful acan...color and shape. Puzzled by you saying it is aggressive towards other acans. Typically I only think echinata as aggressive with sweepers

That's my hang up on this piece. It sent out some 2 to 3" sweepers when I had it close to other acans. It never stung them and maybe it was feeling out the new digs. But I've never seen sweepers on any of my other acans (only have lord in my tank) before. So it puzzles me as well. Maybe a cross bred acan? Or just a freak of some type.

thatindonesianreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try to make this long story short. I was in a very well known and trusted LFS that's owned his shop for over 20 years locally. He passes on savings often from tank tear downs. I was in the shop nearly a year ago after a very old tank was torn down. There was this little tidbit of a frag sitting there that was smaller than my pinky nail. It had been scraped off the live rock. It never grew for them to even find out what it was. It was that small. So I gave $5 for a mission to recover this coral to see what it was. I spend the better part of a year moving this frag. It never puffed up but resembled an acan that was dying. I've got tons of acans and they are pretty easy to please. The assumption was this was a piece from wild rock so no one knew what it was. Eventually I moved up to a larger tank and just shoved this frag in a shaded area with nearly 0 flow. I figured Id move it again once I had my other corals placed and happy. Within weeks it finally emerged. And it began to grow rapidly. I started feeding daily. Now I have a very hard to please acan it appears. The heads are now massive measuring close to an inch and a quarter each. The craziest thing is the flessy "bounce" type growth it shown since it finally appeared. It's just the run of the mill acan but I do like the appearance. But it is aggressive towards other acans. It's still somewhat of a mystery what exactly it is but I've made a spot for it to grow in full shade with only a touch of light coming from reflection off glass. Anyone else had such a hard acan they've dealt with?

IMG_20190602_095053.jpg

IMG_20190531_173107.jpg

Screenshot_20190602-095142.jpg

Screenshot_20190602-100718.jpg
That happened to me with a micromussa amakusensis. It looked as if it was just a piece of rock after a mini tank crash. I left it alone for a few months and nothing happened, but when i came in one day to throw it it had a baby! Now it’s still recovering.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back