Mystery Shrimp

Dos Ocho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got a decent pic of this little fella. Came in on some live rock from KP Aquatics. Very small (1/4” if that). Been in my tank for a couple months now. I hear some clicking coming from the tank and think it’s him maybe hunting or burrowing into rock. Somewhat elusive.

So, 2 questions

1: What do you think he is?

2: Could he be a potential threat down the road. My tank is very simple, macro algae, 2 clowns, and a BTA. BTA is small but already hosting the clowns. No plans for major additions, possibly a couple zoas from a different tank down the road.

As always, thanks for any input.

88CA4CC2-DB29-4577-BBFA-279490C3A33D.jpeg

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly trained killers. Your best bet is to take out his rock and flush him out.

kchristensen8064

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of setting up a mantis tank sometime, you could do that. Great excuse to set up another tank. Lol You can send him to me if all else fails. [emoji16]

Last edited:

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% that is a Mantis Shrimp and if you want to keep any other inverts or fish in the tank he will have to go to another tank. Not to scare you but your own fingers could be in danger too, although given it's current size you should be safe for some time. It's hard to tell but to me it looks like a peacock mantis - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odontodactylus_scyllarus

What I would do if I were you is remove the rock he is in. More than likely he will come out with the rock, if he does get loose you have to potential for catching him on his own. You can then put the rock in a smaller tank or bucket. If you want to keep the rock in your reef then I suggest baiting something like pvc with shrimp and when the mantis leaves the rock remove the shrimp. This may not happen instantly so you may want to do this when you have a chance to observe. This is why I suggest an aquarium if possible but a bucket will do if that's all you have.

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP gets their rock from the Caribbean, O. scyllarus isn't in the Carib. My money is on N. wennerae but would need a full pic to say for certain. They're a great species to keep as they're active/interactive and max out at 3". I've kept several species of mantis (never a spearer) with fish over the years and never had a single incident. Inverts are a different story. At a 1/4", amphipods and Collonistas are about the only things on its menu.

They're a fairly sought after species and I bet you could sell it fairly easily if you decide not to keep it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dos Ocho

Dos Ocho

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP gets their rock from the Caribbean, O. scyllarus isn't in the Carib. My money is on N. wennerae but would need a full pic to say for certain. They're a great species to keep as they're active/interactive and max out at 3". I've kept several species of mantis (never a spearer) with fish over the years and never had a single incident. Inverts are a different story. At a 1/4", amphipods and Collonistas are about the only things on its menu.

They're a fairly sought after species and I bet you could sell it fairly easily if you decide not to keep it.

Thank you for the info. I finally did see a bit of his full body today. Seems almost black to me, but i just caught a glimpse. I definitely want to keep him, just a matter of how at this point. I'll try to get some more pix for a more positive ID, then figure out what to do.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back