Mystery tang

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bpones
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bpones

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 25, 2023
Messages
226
Reaction score
329
Location
New Orleans
What state or country do you live in
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been searching for a secondhand tang in the ctenochaetus genus and found one online someone is willing to sell me. Question is, what species would you think it is? Best image I have is this screen capture from a video I’ve been sent.

My current guess is two spot tang (ctenochaetus binotatus)

IMG_0893.jpeg
 
You should ask for a better picture. Maybe someone will know but I can’t tell.
It’s already a super price. This guy breaks down tanks for people in the our region so ends up with random fish. That’s why I checked with him about having one second hand.
 
It looks like a two spot to me. Looks like it has the blue eyes and the right shape.
 
I’ve been searching for a secondhand tang in the ctenochaetus genus and found one online someone is willing to sell me. Question is, what species would you think it is? Best image I have is this screen capture from a video I’ve been sent.

My current guess is two spot tang (ctenochaetus binotatus)

IMG_0893.jpeg
May be a yellow fin or mimic but as mentioned, need a much better pic under bright white intensity
 
Yeah, better photo if possible. Tang looks huge! It may just be the photography, but it looks sizable!
 
Yeah, better photo if possible. Tang looks huge! It may just be the photography, but it looks sizable!
It was hard to gauge size from the video but that’s under a frag rack and it was described as “a little bigger than a coral beauty” in size. Hoping for better pics tomorrow.
 
May be a yellow fin or mimic but as mentioned, need a much better pic under bright white intensity
I really hope not! I’m told it’s small and he’s sure it’s a bristle tooth. Looking forward to better pics.
 
I think bristletooth is right. Maybe a blue lip. Better picture will tell
 
I really hope not! I’m told it’s small and he’s sure it’s a bristle tooth. Looking forward to better pics.
Not confirmed until better pic. Can be a kole or even spotted yellow eye bristletooth also
 
I had a white tailed bristletooth that looked like that under poor lighting. Down sized and sent him to a larger tank with his friend a regal angelfish. Bristletooth most likely though. Great fish
 
Finally got the tang! Looks like a Two Spot (Ctenochaetus binotatus) to my eyes.

Any how, super active and eating well in QT. Can’t wait till the move to the main display in a few months!!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1220.jpeg
    IMG_1220.jpeg
    76.4 KB · Views: 36

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new