Mystery Wrasse in a 30g?

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting another wrasse for my tank which is a 30g cube and everywhere I look it says a 30g is ok for it.

The tank is full of LR and from what I read they are pretty passive when small so I think it should be ok but wanted to see what everyone else's experience was with them.

The other wrasse I have in the tank is a young McCosker's wrasse and other fish is a pair of onyx clowns, Yashia goby.

Anyone care to chime in?

freeze

colonist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that a 30 cube is borderline. The mystery wrasse can grow pretty large. My friend had one in his cube (similar size) and got rid of it as it was pretty aggressive. It probably depends on personality of fish but some can be bullies. I also have been considering this fish for my 40 breeder where I have a pair of McCoskers and I have been doing a lot of research but was concerned about aggression. Let me know how it turns out :)

OP
OP
Eklikewhoa

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think the 30g might be small....if I can find a small mystery I might just go for it since the LFS by me gets them pretty cheap or at least offers them to the community cheap.

This will be the last fish into the tank so I am hoping the established will hold their own.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can always upgrade when he gets bigger.. ;)

Mystery wrasses tend to be a little aggressive towards F&F wrasses since they are in the same family as 6 lines and the like... just watch him.. I think you'll have a better chance with the Mystery if you find a smaller size than your McCosker's...

good luck..

OP
OP
Eklikewhoa

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input..... might have to go another route then cause my little McCosker is a juvi.

reefermadness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they also tend to grow to the enviroment provided. Wayne has one of the biggest Mystery's I have ever seen. I bet it is 3" thick. Yes they are aggressive. I would hold off until you get a bigger tank.

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a 30 is a little small. Mystery wrasses can get fairly large, and even though they are a relatively "calm" wrasse, all wrasses are extremely busy. Six-lines are a calm wrasse and they're everywhere, but nowhere near as bad as lunare wrasses. In smaller tanks it's not uncommon for wrasses to run into the rock work and lose an eye as a result. I've seen several fish that way. Bigger is always better. An aquarium can only be too small.

OP
OP
Eklikewhoa

Eklikewhoa

Fish Thumper!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visited a fellow reefer today to pick up some frags and watched his Mystery.....there is no way I am gonna get one now after seeing his.

His Mystery is in this tank

They guy was all over the place and through all the corals is passage ways in which you cannot see so this guy would disappear in one area and in an instance show up on the other side of the tank. Beautiful fish but IMO not suitable for anything but a massive tank.

waynesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a pic of mine. It is about 4" long and 2" thick. It has more than double in size when I got it 2 years ago. It is a pig always grabs the largest piece of food in the water. One time it eats 2 small cleaner shrimp in less than 10 seconds. That was an expansive snack.
mystery1.JPG

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back