Mystery wrasse mystery and glass surfing African flameback

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Questions about two things which may or may not be related.

1: mystery wrasse I’ve had for years has a lesion on its flank for about a week, possibly longer. It appears to have peeling skin around it. It may be a healing injury. It’s extremely hard to see well or photograph. The photos are better than I can see with the naked eye for what it’s worth. In one of the photos the fish is bent and it appears like a jagged cut at the center. I can’t see this otherwise so either it was a fluke photo or that’s what actually underlies. I don’t think it’s infected. Behavior is typical. I wanted to make sure it doesn’t appear infected or as some sort of parasite/disease I’m unaware of. I’ll include a bunch of photos for whatever they are worth! I do have tangs and an angel that may have injured it, or maybe a rock scrape?

2: The flameback angel has been swimming/pacing glass surfing aggressively for a few weeks. It’s been in there years and suddenly it nearly frantically circles around rocks along the back wall, loop after loop, until it breaks out for a bit zipping around the tank. It’s also far more aggressive than it had been, and I did see it briefly harassing/chasing the mystery wrasse yesterday for the first time. I did rescape the tank over the last 6 weeks or so. It eats normally. It looks fat and healthy. It’s just that suddenly after five years it won’t stop the aggressive pacing and looping and has gone from shy to domineering and unsettling. I don’t know what would lead to this, tank is five foot and 115 gallons or so.

I was planning to add some QTed bimacs to then display This week so wanting to rule out anything infectious with the wrasse at least.

IMG_5144.jpeg IMG_5155.jpeg IMG_5156.jpeg IMG_5157.jpeg IMG_5158.png IMG_5159.png IMG_5160.png IMG_5245.jpeg IMG_5251.jpeg IMG_5258.jpeg IMG_5268.png IMG_5269.png IMG_5270.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Questions about two things which may or may not be related.

1: mystery wrasse I’ve had for years has a lesion on its flank for about a week, possibly longer. It appears to have peeling skin around it. It may be a healing injury. It’s extremely hard to see well or photograph. The photos are better than I can see with the naked eye for what it’s worth. In one of the photos the fish is bent and it appears like a jagged cut at the center. I can’t see this otherwise so either it was a fluke photo or that’s what actually underlies. I don’t think it’s infected. Behavior is typical. I wanted to make sure it doesn’t appear infected or as some sort of parasite/disease I’m unaware of. I’ll include a bunch of photos for whatever they are worth! I do have tangs and an angel that may have injured it, or maybe a rock scrape?

2: The flameback angel has been swimming/pacing glass surfing aggressively for a few weeks. It’s been in there years and suddenly it nearly frantically circles around rocks along the back wall, loop after loop, until it breaks out for a bit zipping around the tank. It’s also far more aggressive than it had been, and I did see it briefly harassing/chasing the mystery wrasse yesterday for the first time. I did rescape the tank over the last 6 weeks or so. It eats normally. It looks fat and healthy. It’s just that suddenly after five years it won’t stop the aggressive pacing and looping and has gone from shy to domineering and unsettling. I don’t know what would lead to this, tank is five foot and 115 gallons or so.

I was planning to add some QTed bimacs to then display This week so wanting to rule out anything infectious with the wrasse at least.

IMG_5144.jpeg IMG_5155.jpeg IMG_5156.jpeg IMG_5157.jpeg IMG_5158.png IMG_5159.png IMG_5160.png IMG_5245.jpeg IMG_5251.jpeg IMG_5258.jpeg IMG_5268.png IMG_5269.png IMG_5270.png

It does look like a simple skin injury to me. At least it isn't flukes or any of the parasitic protozoans.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back