Mystique monti cap gone dark. Can it come back?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Mystique monti cap a few months back. I don't think it liked the Flux Rx treatment or it didn't like the high phosphates (~0.15 +/-) or the nitrates bottoming out. Note about the nitrates, I feed heavily and have no visible algae in the tank except some glass film algae that I scrape once or twice a week, so I believe the nitrates are simply being consumed by the corals, which other than the cap and an octospawn are growing like gangbusters.

Here is the cap right now:
1693417616572.png

It should have little red polyps all over it, but I haven't seen much in months.

The red monti cap on the other side of the rock is growing and encrusting well. not sure what's up with Mystique. Both are in relatively high PAR area if around 250-300 range. Mystique is getting a bit less flow than the red cap.

1693418013428.png

ALK: 7.7-8 (AFR dosing 5x/day)
NO3: ~0
PO4: ~0.15

Happy to hear thoughts about this Mystique Monti Cap. Thanks!

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can offer here is that the biggest mistake you can make is changing anything. I would try giving it the same water flow the other is getting (they like water flow), but as far as making any changes to the tank overall, I wouldn't. Any time I've reacted to one thing in a kneejerk fashion, it always caused problems with other stuff. Sometimes something just isnt going to be happy no matter what you do. I've had brilliantly colored stags turn brown on me when putting them in my tank, then suddenly when I was about to give up, they would become bright again and start to grow....fast!

Do you have a refugium? My best success with acros and montis was when I had a miracle mud refugium. I still may decide to incorporate one into the setup I am still building. I don't think there is necessarily any miracle to miracle mud, but I think it's the best substrate to use in a refugium which was a huge contributor to coral nutrition in my tank. I didn't use any filter socks, GFO, and rarely ever used carbon.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back