Monti Cap overtake without touching?

CoralHaze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can montipora caps spread to an adjacent cap without actually touching? I know one can overtake if growing into each other. But the base of my flower petal (lower) is getting more and more red, highly similar to the red cap above. The pics show the closest they've ever been - never touching.

I've actually had the flower petal considerably longer but it's been a slow grower. They both got a tad light shocked a couple months ago, and the flower petal has yet to recover it's vibrancy while the red is taking off again. The flower petal would have red highlights along new growth lines...but the base seems well beyond that now.

Thanks in advance-

1699464408657.png

1699464421568.png

1699464438344.png

OP
OP
CoralHaze

CoralHaze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I guess that's possible. I've noticed hermits hanging on them both more recently - maybe one walked off with a piece? They would have just planted it perfectly along the flower petal edge. I can also see some yellow polyps within the red base, like the two are almost grafted.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's more of a question of how long before they start touching. If monti caps are healthy and happy they grow and if they grow large enough they are going to touch unless they are far enough apart that they can't.
If yours grow anything like mine your orange one on top will be the last survivor as it is going to shade the ones below it. JMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
CoralHaze

CoralHaze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure, and the shading is starting to happen. So I'm going to relocate the flower regardless.

On the plus side with all the recent inspection...the porcelain crab has finally appeared (missing for almost 2 months), apparently his new spot is under the red cap.

1699550082026.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back