Myth or Fact Elegance Coral

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Elegance Coral. It is doing really well. Eating, fully out, looking puffy. It is in a tank with a Mandarin Fish.

We just lost our mandarin fish that was many years old. It was a female that looked very egg bound. I gave her a magnesium treatment. Nothing worked. She was eating but died. The Elegance Coral was in the tank with her for the last 6 months. I recently bought a male mandarin to replace her and have him in the tank with the Elegance coral. One source online says they carry a poison that will make a mandarin fish sick and swell, but our female mandarin was eating till she died, did not look sick, looked egg bound. Is the Elegant Coral a fish killer full of poison that takes out mandarin fish? Or is this a myth? The only site on the internet that mentions this. " The Elegance coral can harm fish also, by stinging them with their tentacles. Fish that don’t have swim bladders are the most affected as they will drop from level to level in the aquarium. Mandarin Gobies should not be housed with an Elegance Coral as they will eventually bump into it while they are searching for their benthic prey. They will continue to get stung which will cause death after a few days. Fish being stung like this is not pleasant to watch, as they start by developing welts and swell up from the poisons which will kill them slowly." https://www.whogivesafish.com/elegance-coral/

Last edited:

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would definitely say myth here. Have never even heard mention of this before. I *have seen lots of tanks with mandarins and elegance with no problems!

OP
OP
MinnieMouse2

MinnieMouse2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why I tend to not believe this is I saw no welts, or sickness , distress. A lot is said in this hobby that does not pan out. The statement above seems suspect, but I want to hear from others.

Tamale

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see poison mentioned in the article but it did mention stinging which any tentacled LPS can do. However, their stings are much less potent than an anemone. Would have to be a very special mandarin to get stung by the elegance and keep doing it to death haha and it would take a long long time and likely be visible on the fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back