Status
Not open for further replies.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to do a post on the file fish but I wouldn't be able to keep up!
It really is swimming around like a community fish, early doors still, I really need to get a good pic of it and it's little pudgy tummy. ;)
Love your file fish.... it may be that they don’t like sps as much as the literature says so, I always wonder where they get the info to right the reports... we didn’t keep angels with sps for years because of the “literature”. I wonder if anyone actually observed the file fish biting chunks of sps in the wild lol. I used to have a 4 spot butterfly which according to the “literature” apparently pocillipora is a particular favourite... never went near mine...

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your file fish.... it may be that they don’t like sps as much as the literature says so, I always wonder where they get the info to right the reports... we didn’t keep angels with sps for years because of the “literature”. I wonder if anyone actually observed the file fish biting chunks of sps in the wild lol. I used to have a 4 spot butterfly which according to the “literature” apparently pocillipora is a particular favourite... never went near mine...

Well said, I watched it in the shop, it had a natural instinct, pecking!
It does eat pods, it will never starve in here!
I have had a new auto feeder set to feed 6 times a day whilst I am at work.
My particular one appears to be a natural scavenger, still confident! ;)

DSC_0002 (1024x684).jpg

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said, I watched it in the shop, it had a natural instinct, pecking!
It does eat pods, it will never starve in here!
I have had a new auto feeder set to feed 6 times a day whilst I am at work.
My particular one appears to be a natural scavenger, still confident! ;)

DSC_0002 (1024x684).jpg
If it does peck at your sps the tips will soon grow back... and sometimes faster than before... don’t they call it micro fragging... you could always get some more sps another dalt Wisney or similar, just in case he’s a gourmet...

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it does peck at your sps the tips will soon grow back... and sometimes faster than before... don’t they call it micro fragging... you could always get some more sps another dalt Wisney or similar, just in case he’s a gourmet...

It pecks at sps lps and softies, it is very easily distracted by food in the water column, I didn't take it on lightly! ;)

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It pecks at sps lps and softies, it is very easily distracted by food in the water column, I didn't take it on lightly! ;)
I’m watching with interest, be great if these aren’t as risky to SPs as were led to believe..

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did u find that works for ur gorg simon?

Gorgeous new fish. So unique.

It is doing rubbish, keeps getting covered in cyano, I could put it in the s tank but that means putting a powerhead back in.
I have a jebao rw4 somewhere, I'll clean it and pop that in and start at power one, this could get very ugly so I will put some floss behind the weir slots. ;)

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right and apparently I am sacrificing my sps to house it? ;)
The more I look at this fish, the less I can believe he can do much damage, a long thin nose like that, just doesn’t seem designed to eat sps. More like for probing between the branches to get at pods etc.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything?!" ;)

DSC_0003 (1024x683).jpg

DSC_0002 (1024x722).jpg

DSC_0004 (1024x619).jpg

That first picture... omg. He is so cool! Eat all the SPS you want little pretty fish... [emoji7]

When my tank grows in more, and I have all large enough colonies to take a good nipping without the entire frag going up in smoke... I’d totally let one come sample a branch or two

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I look at this fish, the less I can believe he can do much damage, a long thin nose like that, just doesn’t seem designed to eat sps. More like for probing between the branches to get at pods etc.
I promise you, they are excellent SPS polyp eaters :) They'll hover around amongst the corals branches and pick one polyp here, one polyp there.
I can't say how much damage they'll do in a regular sized tank with a couple of SPS colonies. Our two file fish lives in a 10m3 SPS dominated tank and they don't stay at the same coral for long. So the corals seems to handle it well. But we don't see as much polyp extension during daytime now as before we got these fishes.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything?!" ;)

DSC_0003 (1024x683).jpg

DSC_0002 (1024x722).jpg

DSC_0004 (1024x619).jpg
That’s a great picture Simon, what a pretty face

Do you think he will be easy to catch!? Lol

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am learning more about him every day and he now swims around like a community fish and appears to get along with everyone.
The feed ring works as it has a circular flow and holds the food.
Vitalis xs marine pellets just fed, the tassle and orange spot take them from the surface before they get into the water column. :)

DSC_0003 (1024x673).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back