In the puddle, filling out well. :)

DSC_0010 (1024x704).jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I floated away on a river of face, through the gap and over the waterfall to see what was on the other side!

Well that is sort of what happened some time early last year!
My previous tank was a custom all in one 170 litre shallow.

(Lets clear this up here lol, 170 litre is approx. 40 odd US gallons, I am from England so I will probably us litres more! ;) )

I got to day dreaming on a very chilled out afternoon and decided to upgrade.
Problem 1, I couldn't bare to strip the 170 down.
I also love fragging and trying coral rescues so I needed a "playroom" as well as a display so the tank measures 165 x 65 x 45 cm shallow plus sump with a full glass divide at 100 cm that splits the tank in 2 but there is a 7 cm swim through in the divide and both ends have their own overflows and returns.

I will add details as I remember, don't hold your collective breaths!
So basically the new display is 300 litres / 75 G and I just transplanted the 170 in with a bit more rock and tried to get a similar scape!

Just to confuse things more there are 2 fts of the display end!
If you picture a view from the front, my right elbow can touch the front left corner of the tank from my desk chair so the main scape and fts is an end view but had to try and get the front view nice (to my eyes) too.
Desk view from last weekend.

Front, same weekend.

This runs 2 heaters and 2 return pumps in the sump, no socks or floss, no skimmer, no reactors, just a refugium and 4 trays of mineral mud.

More of a coral person than a fish person and I love my creatures!
I will try and add a bit more info soon.

Oh and I love taking pictures! :)

Last fts of the 170. :)

I had read different post of yours on this thread, I went to your first post and realized that you were a poet as well as a reefer hobbiest. Keep up the passion. The pictures & the corals are exquisite.

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read different post of yours on this thread, I went to your first post and realized that you were a poet as well as a reefer hobbiest. Keep up the passion. The pictures & the corals are exquisite.

You sir are too kind, you know I follow your journal and love your tank, I am just letting it be at the moment, I'm sure the engineer goby will run out of sand to recycle eventually! ;)

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no duncan pic. it's dead center front to back and can't get the Iphone to focus on it. maybe because my hands shake.
lighting.... bright flow.... slim to none

Duncans are weird. I have three now, one in the 90 and two in the BioCube. The one in the 90 is doing well, probably 1/3 of the way up from the bottom in an area of low flow. It has grown a number of new heads since I added it. I had the other two in the 90, but no matter where I placed them, they hated it. I moved them around, lower flow, higher flow, lower light, higher light. I finally gave up and moved them into the BioCube and they are happy in there. Who knows!

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duncans are weird. I have three now, one in the 90 and two in the BioCube. The one in the 90 is doing well, probably 1/3 of the way up from the bottom in an area of low flow. It has grown a number of new heads since I added it. I had the other two in the 90, but no matter where I placed them, they hated it. I moved them around, lower flow, higher flow, lower light, higher light. I finally gave up and moved them into the BioCube and they are happy in there. Who knows!
this is this ones second local. it is relatively new. I run fairly high, relative to most everyone else, nutrient level.
my NO3 is usually 40+ and PO4 .9/1.2 when I check, not often. the system it came from is ran at near 0 for both.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Support your LFS. :)
I just called mine to check on a certain flake, the probiotic one, no joy, "I'll pop it on the order mate, should be here Friday." :)
I try, but when they only want to give me $30 trade for a fish I paid $35 for two years ago from them, and they could now sell it for $100+ and they have inventory in their tanks that isn't moving I was interested in.....

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try, but when they only want to give me $30 trade for a fish I paid $35 for two years ago from them, and they could now sell it for $100+ and they have inventory in their tanks that isn't moving I was interested in.....

I have made money trading fish back, I can feed pretty much anything, the venustus / a angel I took back as a little plumper doubled my money, I get what the fish sells for minus the 20% sales tax. ;)

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made money trading fish back, I can feed pretty much anything, the venustus / a angel I took back as a little plumper doubled my money, I get what the fish sells for minus the 20% sales tax. ;)
not here. 30% of what they think they can sell it for, so basically their cost on a fish they order that may or may not survive until they sell it.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved mine yesterday, only a couple of inches, good random flow. :)

DSC_0007 (1024x684).jpg
I know I’m repeating myself, but beautiful pictures Simon!

Its a pleasure to sit down early evening with my glass of water and read your thread.....

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I’m repeating myself, but beautiful pictures Simon!

Its a pleasure to sit down early evening with my glass of water and read your thread.....

Even without the virus I am a very private person, the only other person that sees the tank is my daughter really, she will sit and chat for 10 minutes but her eyes are all over the tanks, she rarely misses new additions, this is one of the reasons I like to share pics! :)
She loves the fff and engineer goby and has fed fish by hand. :)
Soon to be resident in the gym! ;)

DSC_0008 (1024x839).jpg

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She loves the fff and engineer goby and has fed fish by hand. :)
Soon to be resident in the gym! ;)
Your taking them to the gym?

What in like a mini bowl or something?

Dont be surprised at the odd looks! lol

Last edited:

SPR1968

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Duh, convict needs exercise! :p
Lol, that was way over my head with a big ‘wush’! Lol

I need to drink something stronger, this cucumber spritzer isn’t hitting the spot!

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bled the upstairs bathroom towel radiator earlier, boiler just fired up quietly not trying to pump air, the bleed key was exactly where it was supposed to be, topped water up a few months ago, pressure still in the green. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back