Status
Not open for further replies.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I floated away on a river of face, through the gap and over the waterfall to see what was on the other side!

Well that is sort of what happened some time early last year!
My previous tank was a custom all in one 170 litre shallow.

(Lets clear this up here lol, 170 litre is approx. 40 odd US gallons, I am from England so I will probably us litres more! ;) )

I got to day dreaming on a very chilled out afternoon and decided to upgrade.
Problem 1, I couldn't bare to strip the 170 down.
I also love fragging and trying coral rescues so I needed a "playroom" as well as a display so the tank measures 165 x 65 x 45 cm shallow plus sump with a full glass divide at 100 cm that splits the tank in 2 but there is a 7 cm swim through in the divide and both ends have their own overflows and returns.

I will add details as I remember, don't hold your collective breaths!
So basically the new display is 300 litres / 75 G and I just transplanted the 170 in with a bit more rock and tried to get a similar scape!

Just to confuse things more there are 2 fts of the display end!
If you picture a view from the front, my right elbow can touch the front left corner of the tank from my desk chair so the main scape and fts is an end view but had to try and get the front view nice (to my eyes) too.
Desk view from last weekend.

Front, same weekend.

This runs 2 heaters and 2 return pumps in the sump, no socks or floss, no skimmer, no reactors, just a refugium and 4 trays of mineral mud.

More of a coral person than a fish person and I love my creatures!
I will try and add a bit more info soon.

Oh and I love taking pictures! :)

Last fts of the 170. :)

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet setup!

This is my problem too. I have a decent amount of fish but when I look at the tank it looks empty!

I don't like a busy fish tank, I prefer more chilled, I have 4 "free swimming" fish and about 12 that are "terrestrial", some I don't see for days at a time, adding new fish is always a butt clencher for me! ;)

OP
OP
N

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it for the build quality and because I run the return to the display through a spraybar I can easily adjust the pressure of the jets.
It is the quietest pump I have ever owned, like silent quiet.
You're supposed to calibrate it (?), I just wacked it in and started turning it up, currently 7 lights and the flow is better already than the eheim 5000 I was running flat out.
I did read enough to figure out how to lock the dial so no accidental adjustments. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back