Nano ATO sanity check

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to finally add an ATO to my IM 10g tank so I might be able to leave for the weekend. The tank can evaporate a crazy amount of water so just letting it go isn't an option.

The big issue I have with adding an ATO is that every now and then the overflow gets backed up and causes the return chamber to run dry (or close to). An ATO would take that as "add more water" and the result of that would be a wreck.

I'm trying to figure out how and where to maybe add an extra sensor to recognize an overflow chamber malfunction and shut down the ATO. Of course since we're talking nano, there isn't a lot of room to maneuver.

Not a complete solution but I'm considering running the ATO on a timer so that it won't come on for more than x seconds at a time, 2 or 3 times a day.

Any other ideas?

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you clean your floss/sock or whatever right before you leave, and just don't feed it for the 3 days your gone, your overflow should stay almost completely clean, and you shouldn't have to worry.

I was even considering just pulling the floss all together when I need to leave the tank. I've only had it happen twice but when it clogs, things go crazy really fast!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back