NANO auto feeder options?

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to be out of state for about a week and will be needing an auto feeder for this time..

Currently I have a 10g aio with 2 clowns. I used to have a neighbor come by and feed for me but we moved last year and now that's not an option.

Looking for suggestions for an auto feeder that has a controllable portion size. Battery powered or corded... doesn't matter. Portion control is my biggest worry for 2 fish.

Thanks!!!!

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim has worked well for me. Fill it up atleast half full and test it several times with the slide in different positions. I have used folded tape for finer portion control.

I agree, probably the best option if your local LFS doesn’t do a home feeding service.

You will have to use tape on it to reduce the size of the hole and try it out, as even when the slide is in the smallest position it dispenses a lot. Also maybe only feed once a day if you can’t reduce the hole size enough.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got one of the $20 Alexa enabled feeders on amazon and love the thing.
Works great as long as you only need to feed dry foods with it.

You can program it to do timed feedings, or just use the app on your phone to tell it to feed, or you can even tell Alexa/Google to do it by voice. Best of all, they are only $20-$25.

Screenshot_20210209-125142_TuyaSmart.jpg Screenshot_20210209-125237_TuyaSmart.jpg Screenshot_20210209-125152_TuyaSmart.jpg

I put a magnetic floating feeding ring in my tank, under the feeder. This keeps the dry food in the feeding ring, until it sinks. Keeps the food out of the overflow. you can adjust the output of the feeder to have it feed as much or as little as needed. I have an IP camera on my tank so I can monitor things during feedings.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got one of the $20 Alexa enabled feeders on amazon and love the thing.
Works great as long as you only need to feed dry foods with it.

You can program it to do timed feedings, or just use the app on your phone to tell it to feed, or you can even tell Alexa/Google to do it by voice. Best of all, they are only $20-$25.

Screenshot_20210209-125142_TuyaSmart.jpg Screenshot_20210209-125237_TuyaSmart.jpg Screenshot_20210209-125152_TuyaSmart.jpg

I put a magnetic floating feeding ring in my tank, under the feeder. This keeps the dry food in the feeding ring, until it sinks. Keeps the food out of the overflow. you can adjust the output of the feeder to have it feed as much or as little as needed. I have an IP camera on my tank so I can monitor things during feedings.
Link? I had no clue such a thing existed...

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon links don't work here for some reason.
Search for Ilonda or londafish alexa fish feeder on Amazon. That will find you the Ilonda one.... the same feeder is also sold under several different names, but they are all the same generic wifi feeder and they all use the same app. Buy whichever one is cheapest and ships the soonest. HDE, DecDeal, Lychee, Ilonda, Londafish, Aquabasik, etc... are all the same wifi feeder as far as I can tell. They all look identical. They also are similar form to the Eheim auto feeder, so any accessory that works with the Eheim feeder should also work with these Alexa feeders too, like the Eheim feeding station/chute. I just use a floating ring under mine.

Last edited:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can even have the feeder/app notify you each time the feeder runs, or fails to run, or if the feeder loses connection. Pretty slick feeders for $20.

Screenshot_20210117-205744_iLONDA.jpg
Screenshot_20210117-205739_iLONDA.jpg
Screenshot_20210117-205804_iLONDA.jpg

OP
OP
Brewski262

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon links don't work here for some reason.
Search for Ilonda or londafish alexa fish feeder on Amazon. That will find you the Ilonda one.... the same feeder is also sold under several different names, but they are all the same generic wifi feeder and they all use the same app. Buy whichever one is cheapest and ships the soonest. HDE, DecDeal, Lychee, Ilonda, Londafish, Aquabasik, etc... are all the same wifi feeder as far as I can tell. They all look identical. They also are similar form to the Eheim auto feeder, so any accessory that works with the Eheim feeder should also work with these Alexa feeders too, like the Eheim feeding station/chute. I just use a floating ring under mine.
Thanks!! I like the idea of having wifi. Seems overkill lol but, I use a kasa smart strip to power everything else on the tank so with the internal clocks 100% in sync I could turn off all the flow and allow the feeder to feed at the right time. Return pump and wave maker would come on automatically afterwards.

OP
OP
Brewski262

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can even have the feeder/app notify you each time the feeder runs, or fails to run, or if the feeder loses connection. Pretty slick feeders for $20.

Screenshot_20210117-205744_iLONDA.jpg
Screenshot_20210117-205739_iLONDA.jpg
Screenshot_20210117-205804_iLONDA.jpg
Do you know if it stores the settings on the device, if it was to loose wifi connection, will it still feed as previously programmed without wifi?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! I like the idea of having wifi. Seems overkill lol but, I use a kasa smart strip to power everything else on the tank so with the internal clocks 100% in sync I could turn off all the flow and allow the feeder to feed at the right time. Return pump and wave maker would come on automatically afterwards.

Exactly. I use the APC smart strips, which are similar to the Kasa strips, but the APC's also have a few smart USB ports on their strips that you can turn on/off remotely too. I use the feeder and my camera, plugged into the USB ports and my filters/pumps plugged into the APC strips. These feeders will even let you use IFTTT to so that opens a whole bunch of options .

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if it stores the settings on the device, if it was to loose wifi connection, will it still feed as previously programmed without wifi?

That I don' t know, and truthfully, doesn't matter to me.

My wifi is reliable and only goes down when I lose all power.... and when I lose power, this feeder, or any other feeder isn't working anyway. At that point, I fire up my generator and everything comes back on.

I have tested whether it will reconnect to wifi after losing the wifi signal, and I'm happy to report that it does indeed reconnect on its own, after wifi comes back up. So that is a PLUS.

This is a $20 smart feeder that can be operated remotely, more so than a battery powered timer feeder.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you use a feeding ring you don’t have to turn the flow off, more chance the fish will get the food if it doesn’t sink straight to the sand bed, feeding at night might also not help all the food get eaten, fish asleep and dark.

OP
OP
Brewski262

Brewski262

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use a feeding ring you don’t have to turn the flow off, more chance the fish will get the food if it doesn’t sink straight to the sand bed, feeding at night might also not help all the food get eaten, fish asleep and dark.
Yeah I dont have a feeding ring. I've been hand feeding these clowns in the same corner for a while now. I'm also only feeding during the day

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 128 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back