Nano Clown Harem Tank (No water changes)

Jfox33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my 20 gallon (ca. 76 liters) nano tank in March 2020. My goal for this aquarium is ULM and a clown harem tank. Right now I have 3 clownfish and plan to add more soon and real anemone when tank is more stable. I have never done a water change and keep it topped off with an ATO and 5 gallon (ca. 19 liters) bucket reservoir (with RO water). ATO is very important to me because it keeps things ULM and keeps salinity (1.024) from swinging up and down. I ordered an AIO for my 20 gallon off Amazon and that's where I hide all my hardware (filter pads, bio balls, heater, skimmer, pumps, ATO). I love the idea of a refugium, so I bought a hang on breeder box and a grow light. I added Chaeto about 20 days ago and it has been slowly dying. I have tried about 3 different solutions and it turns out there wasn't enough phosphates. Right now my Nitrates=10 Phosphates=0. I do have a protein skimmer which makes no water changes much more doable. I also have the main display light only at 5% for about 3 hours, so I don't promote any unnecessary algae growth while it goes through the ups and downs of the tank. My goal is ULM and the only thing I do right now is fill the ATO reservoir once a week. I fit this all in the bookshelf I made for my desk (about an 18"x43" space).

IMG-0431.JPG IMG-0432.JPG IMG-0433.JPG IMG-0434.JPG IMG-0435.JPG

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice!
I don't want to rain on your parade, but you might want to do some research on clown harem tanks in smaller tanks after a year or two. From what I've seen, a clown harem tank is probably the antithesis of ULM once territorial issues arise. I would start by reading the threads on RC or the notes from the BRS harem tank- many have gone down the road you are currently traveling and it would be better to avoid the heartache of dying pets if you can make some changes now- best of luck!

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a clown harem for a while. It is a 29 bio cube with anemone garden (20 + anemones) and no water changes. I did choose 10 pink skunk. For what I have noticed is there’s always one or two that will be bullied. It lasts less than a year before I tore off the tank due to our move.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back