Nano Reef and Live Rock

RideLoveNLaugh

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2013
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
I currently have a 10G tank and was looking to upgrade to something a little bigger. I have limited space where I am so I can't go BIG.
What do you guys suggest for a new tank, lighting etc?

My 10G has just a flourecent bulb, a 50w heater, a Marine Land 150 BioWheel and an Aqueon Filter that came with the tank.

My next question is how does one prepare dry rock to use in a tank? I have dry live rock that used to be in my dad's tank years ago.
 
You got to cure it again. You can look it up how to cure it but I would suggest putting it in a bucket or container with some flow in it. You don't need light on it. But after a couple days, test the water for ammonia. If something was dead in the rock then ammonia will spike and that could start the cycle for you. If you don't see anything then you may need to dose some bacteria or go with a hardy fish. There's also ways to do it with a piece of shrimp. Many ways to do it, I think bacteria is the way to go.

As far as what you need for your next tank, I'm not sure. Do you have an idea of how big you wanna go? And are you going to be doing coral?
 
Okay thanks. What kind of flow do you mean?

And in terms of size, what is an acceptable size? I was looking at maybe a 20 - 30G (What works for a decent Nano Tank?) but I am unsure if where I have my current tank will be able to handle the weight of the 30G. It is on a short dresser, I don't have anywhere else to put it unfortunately.

I have just a small amount of soft coral, red mushrooms actually. It came with the live rock I bought back in May (along with all sorts of other creatures).
 
Just keep the water moving while the rock is curing. It doesn't have to be flow everywhere, just some.

On a dresser, I would maybe not go beyond 20 gallons. You just have to look to see how the stand is built. If you could fit the tank along where the major support beams are then you might be able to get away with it. If you look at this pic, you want the tank to be supported by all the pink boards in the picture. http://s66.photobucket.com/user/Masamune200/media/148629DIY_Stand_Template_zpsd94e9127.jpg.html

Y
our dresser might be different so I can't be sure.
 
Thanks!
yes my dresser is different. It is longer so the tank sits in the middle above the center brace. I would have a separate stand for the tank but I don't have room for it currently. :/
 

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new