Nano reef build

In the sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby for about 15 years. Currently I have a 75gal sps dominate tank. My 4 year oldson is extremely into the tank and wants to get a tank. So I jumped on the chance to talk my wife into getting a nano tank (for my son of course)
I wanted to do my research on this build since I could imagine stability is a bit more of a challenge. Prolly won’t do much as for corals more than likely Zoas and mushrooms.
But any advice on fish stocking. Must have equipment. Lighting. One question I’ve had is the ato.
Thanks any info will help

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyones definition for a Nano is little different, what volume are we talking about?

Depends on the size of the planned system you could potentially go with as little as lights + a small wave pump for equipment, and the rest can be maintained manually (daily, manual ATO) and water changes.

Another solution for an ATO, since the system is small you could also get a gravity one that accepts standard bottles and sits on the glass from aliexpress. I know quite a few that use it and it seems to do the job well.

Zoa and shrooms love high nutrients, so as I said earlier a skimmer can be avoided and it can all be maintained with weekly water changes, otherwise a little HOB skimmer would do.

As for a light recommendations, the requirements for this kind of corals aren't nearly as high as for SPS.
You might get by with using a cheap fixture for either amazon or aliexpress.

The main thing to remember with small systems, besides stability is that it'll be harder to combat algae.
However, given the type of corals you wish to grow in there can tolerate H2O2 pretty well, I would advice to use it as an effective tool to treat against algae when the problem arises.

I also highly recommend to put some rocks into your current system right now, for them to cycle.
It'll make it the process so much easier down the road, as the system would essentially already be cycled and have a good diversity of bacteria on it.

OP
OP
In the sticks

In the sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyones definition for a Nano is little different, what volume are we talking about?

Depends on the size of the planned system you could potentially go with as little as lights + a small wave pump for equipment, and the rest can be maintained manually (daily, manual ATO) and water changes.

Another solution for an ATO, since the system is small you could also get a gravity one that accepts standard bottles and sits on the glass from aliexpress. I know quite a few that use it and it seems to do the job well.

Zoa and shrooms love high nutrients, so as I said earlier a skimmer can be avoided and it can all be maintained with weekly water changes, otherwise a little HOB skimmer would do.

As for a light recommendations, the requirements for this kind of corals aren't nearly as high as for SPS.
You might get by with using a cheap fixture for either amazon or aliexpress.

The main thing to remember with small systems, besides stability is that it'll be harder to combat algae.
However, given the type of corals you wish to grow in there can tolerate H2O2 pretty well, I would advice to use it as an effective tool to treat against algae when the problem arises.

I also highly recommend to put some rocks into your current system right now, for them to cycle.
It'll make it the process so much easier down the road, as the system would essentially already be cycled and have a good diversity of bacteria on it.
I was planning on a 12gallon tank. I have a old set of primes I was going to use. How many fish do you think I can stock. I would like to do a pair of designer clowns. And possibly like a Lawn mower blenny. Do do you think this would be over stocked?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty small, but imo you'll be fine with 3 small sized fish and weekly water changes alone.

If you do plan to add more (and bear in mind, you already nearly on the edge), than I would go for a HOB skimmer right away, otherwise - you'll need to watch your nutrients, and if weekly wc are not enough to keep up during the week then you can add skimmer later on.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an 13.5 gallon evo for a couple years now and never had an ATO but the lid does good at keeping down evaporation. I add water about 1 time a week. I know others with Nanos that use the bottle type.

On a side note I often go much longer without a water change on it then my larger reefs and it has been bullet proof.

Never had a skimmer on it, and never will nano skimmers are all money traps in my opinion.

OP
OP
In the sticks

In the sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an 13.5 gallon evo for a couple years now and never had an ATO but the lid does good at keeping down evaporation. I add water about 1 time a week. I know others with Nanos that use the bottle type.

On a side note I often go much longer without a water change on it then my larger reefs and it has been bullet proof.

Never had a skimmer on it, and never will nano skimmers are all money traps in my opinion.
What kind of fish do you have and how many.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230124_163402.jpg

Here is my evo, this is using stock lights, and even the sponge filter in chamber 2. I average a water change every 3 months maybe. I think this is probably one of the best out of the box complete set ups for the money. I also dose all for reef with a kamoer dosing pump.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 12g had two Ocellaris Clownfish for a few years, but they needed to be moved on when they got to adult size (females grow to over 4"). They grow fast and produce a lot of waste as adults, so never considered a third fish.

I've used two Petco 'PetBottle' ATO's for over 14 years and never had an issue.

I currently have one Azure Damsel since my Eyebrow Barnacle Blenny passed after 5 years. Fed daily the Damsel provides enough waste products for all the corals and other filter feeders and requires less robust maintenance practices compared to having many fish (or relatively large/heavy eaters) in such a small volume of water (a 12g's water volume is more like 10g).

OP
OP
In the sticks

In the sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 12g had two Ocellaris Clownfish for a few years, but they needed to be moved on when they got to adult size (females grow to over 4"). They grow fast and produce a lot of waste as adults, so never considered a third fish.

I've used two Petco 'PetBottle' ATO's for over 14 years and never had an issue.

I currently have one Azure Damsel since my Eyebrow Barnacle Blenny passed after 5 years. Fed daily the Damsel provides enough waste products for all the corals and other filter feeders and requires less robust maintenance practices compared to having many fish (or relatively large/heavy eaters) in such a small volume of water (a 12g's water volume is more like 10g).
Do you run a skimmer?

OP
OP
In the sticks

In the sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another question!! My sps tank water stays pretty prestige. Doing a water change on the nano can I use the water from my other tank of should I mix new water up

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back