Nano reef skimmer question

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone still new to reefing and looking for some advice regarding HOB skimmer for a nano reef tank. I have a 10 gallon nano mixed reef tank that’s about 7 months old. Everything has been going really well (all corals growing really well; birds nest, torch’s, hammers, chalices, mushrooms, zoas, and montis) all parameters have really hit their stride and are consistent (nitrate 5, phosphate 0.1, alk 9, calcium 440, mg ~1300). My two clowns, shark goby, and yasha goby have all grown and done well. I’m doing weekly 20% water changes and currently have a coralife HOB filter with chaeto/light and chemi pure elite. My question is should I invest in a HOB protein skimmer like bubble magnus skimmer qq1? Everything is doing so well that Im worried about adding something that will throw things off. Just wondering if it would be a good addition or if I should just keep everything consistent as it’s going well. Any thoughts, opinions, and advice would be appreciated.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on the number of fish you have you'll probably see some benefit from a small nano skimmer (and I would definitely recommend the Bubble Magus based on what others have said about it). You probably won't see a huge hit to your nutrients, but you'll probably start pulling out some icky stuff that will improve things overall.

OP
OP
D

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I always appreciate your insight! If my nutrients start to drop would you just space out your water changes to every other week? Or dose to stay on a weekly water change schedule, feed more, or add a fish?
Based on the number of fish you have you'll probably see some benefit from a small nano skimmer (and I would definitely recommend the Bubble Magus based on what others have said about it). You probably won't see a huge hit to your nutrients, but you'll probably start pulling out some icky stuff that will improve things overall.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I always appreciate your insight! If my nutrients start to drop would you just space out your water changes to every other week? Or dose to stay on a weekly water change schedule, feed more, or add a fish?
Yes, you can space your water changes out more, perform less and keep on the same schedule, increase the interval between cleaning/changing out your filtration - or add another fish.

Adding another fish comes with other considerations like feeding, territory, aggression, etc.

OP
OP
D

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can space your water changes out more, perform less and keep on the same schedule, increase the interval between cleaning/changing out your filtration - or add another fish.

Adding another fish comes with other considerations like feeding, territory, aggression, etc.
What fish would you recommend to add? Got two Picasso clown fish, a shark nose goby, and a yasha goby.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish would you recommend to add? Got two Picasso clown fish, a shark nose goby, and a yasha goby.
Honestly, with a 10-gallon tank I probably wouldn't add any more fish.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your parameters and observations of good coral and fish health is there anything specific leading you to consider a skimmer? Only saying this as I added a Tunze 9004 to a ADA nano a few years back for no particular reason and was hit with dinos soon after. Similar age system, everything was looking good. I suspect it pushed nutrients too low.

Not trying to dissuade you but if it ain’t broke….

OP
OP
D

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s my thought process too! With how good everything is doing, do I risk throwing it all out of whack? or is there another level I can get to with this addition? My worry is nutrient depletion too. I also battled dinos awhile back when my nutrients dropped. Thanks for your insight!
Based on your parameters and observations of good coral and fish health is there anything specific leading you to consider a skimmer? Only saying this as I added a Tunze 9004 to a ADA nano a few years back for no particular reason and was hit with dinos soon after. Similar age system, everything was looking good. I suspect it pushed nutrients too low.

Not trying to dissuade you but if it ain’t broke….

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't change anything. A skimmer might lower nitrates but you're right at that sweet spot of 5 and if anything, you could go higher. I'd let it be.

Back