Nano Refugium (chaeto) vs Nano protein skimmer

Quokka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a IM 14g Peninsula AIO and was hoping to hear some of your insights on how my middle chamber should be used. I've attached the dimensions below:
dimensions.JPG

Current options: A chaeto refugium on a reverse light cycle or nano protein skimmer. What do you think would be the most impactful for the safe reduction/maintenance of nitrates/phosphates for increased feeding capabilities. I was considering a Tunze Eco Chic refugium light

If you consider a nano skimmer most functional for my intentions, which ones would you recommend? Are they a lot of maintenance? If I leave home for 1.5weeks would this do something bad? Thanks everyone!

Budmans

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Hob skimmer. Or on the side. Just turn it down when you leave so the cup dosent overflow nasty stuff everywhere. Some come with a drain tube so u drain into a 5g bucket or equivalent.
D

OP
Quokka

Quokka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone! Trying not to have anything hanging on the outside of the tank. Anyone have opinions on which method would be most useful for a way to stabilize nitrate/phosphates with minimal maintenance? I'm not necessary trying to drive my numbers down but it would be nice to increase feeding and control nutrients passively

AS

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Personally, I would go with a skimmer, Its hard to get good growth of chaeto in the back chambers of your aio. I know for a fact IM makes skimmer that fit their tanks, this one should work well

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have the same tank, I would run it with neither for now, see how you go, I would say the skimmer would probably be my 2nd choice if you plan on leaving it for over a week, I guess you could turn it off when not there but a nano skimmer is not something I would leave unattended for more than a few hours.

BIG TANKS VERSUS SMALLER TANKS...WHICH DO YOU PREFER?

• BIGGER

Votes: 671 75.8%
  • smaller

Votes: 167 18.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 47 5.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Tidal Gardens