Nano Saltwater Tank Build Thread

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to started up a nano aquarium. I have a 90 gallon saltwater already in the basement and wanted something else for the main floor. I asked the members for ideas and after a bunch of suggestions I decided to go with a Waterbox Cube 20 AIO (with the AI HD Prime light). Instead of paying $300 for the cabinet I decided to build one myself (at about half the cost). Along with the included items from Waterbox I will be adding a Jebao TW-10 for additional water flow. I bought 20 pounds of Reef Saver dry live rock and 20 pounds of Fiji Pink live sand from Bulk Reef Supply.

Here are some photos of the progress so far. I plan of just having 1-2 fish (maybe 3 if they are smaller), along with coral. I would love to get suggestions on what fish to consider so if you have any please share. I will post updates as things progress.

As always thanks for any advice/suggestions you may have!

6EgR19SJQn+7AWkJldw2nQ.jpg
p%w5VK2FTKeEOhX96cD7kQ.jpg
PuPRksQhRQKBt4QwGM00kw.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to started up a nano aquarium. I have a 90 gallon saltwater already in the basement and wanted something else for the main floor. I asked the members for ideas and after a bunch of suggestions I decided to go with a Waterbox Cube 20 AIO (with the AI HD Prime light). Instead of paying $300 for the cabinet I decided to build one myself (at about half the cost). Along with the included items from Waterbox I will be adding a Jebao TW-10 for additional water flow. I bought 20 pounds of Reef Saver dry live rock and 20 pounds of Fiji Pink live sand from Bulk Reef Supply.

Here are some photos of the progress so far. I plan of just having 1-2 fish (maybe 3 if they are smaller), along with coral. I would love to get suggestions on what fish to consider so if you have any please share. I will post updates as things progress.

Looks nice. I have a similar set up. 2 very evil yellowfin blue damsels and 2 Black Perc clowns. They all seem to do fine. They do fight a lot. Damsels ate one of my peppermint shrimp. So stay away from damsels!!! Also have various other invertebrates including a nudibranch.

71BB5D17-C91D-413D-83CC-2480AFEF19DF.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks great Marty, I really like the rock work

OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is coming along. I did add an ATO as I had to add water daily. I also added a heater. The guy at my LFS said I may not need one but he was talking about AIO’s with a hood. Water just stayed at 68 so way too low. Doing ammonia dosing to get the cycle going. Hopefully I will be ready so CUC soon

OP
OP
Marty Fleskes

Marty Fleskes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an old pic. Here’s a newer one

2F3310AF-6A6E-48CA-B3AA-3273DFCDBDE1.jpeg
Do you have any issues with water quality with that many fish? I'm kind of an overstocker in many cases. So hard to resist something I would like to see in the tank. I have heard that about damsels, but I do love the colors they have. I'm considering a clown, something a little more expensive than the standard ones I have in my 90. Also looking at some Gobies as long as they don't jump!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any issues with water quality with that many fish? I'm kind of an overstocker in many cases. So hard to resist something I would like to see in the tank. I have heard that about damsels, but I do love the colors they have. I'm considering a clown, something a little more expensive than the standard ones I have in my 90. Also looking at some Gobies as long as they don't jump!
My parameters are amazingly great. I think where ppl tend to go wrong is in overfeeding. I do WCs 2-3 times a week but I could definitely get away with far less. The biggest problem with stacking a tank is not having enough hiding spaces and territorial issues.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back