Nano skimmers - a poll

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who has a skimmer on their nano and who goes without? What's your experience/recommendations?

I don't have a skimmer on my 12g nano. I have sponges, bioballs, seachem denigrate and Purigen in my filter. I clean the sponges once a week in the one gallon of tank water I change out I had fowlr for about three years and then added soft corals and one lps a few months ago. My nitrates are always low (10 or less), I never have measurable phosphates and the corals seem happy. I'm not planning on getting a skimmer because my tank is stable without one. What's everyone else's experience been?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 nano skimmers, both useless lol. RO NS-80 and the Hydor Slim Skim Nano. I moved up to a RO BH1000. Personally I wouldn't run my 26g without one. Not after seeing what a good skimmer takes out on a daily bases. WOW!

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it true that you have to supplement more with a skimmer because it skims out nutrients too?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

fernb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far my 29g BioCube has done well without a skimmer. I converted chamber 2 to a refugium with chaeto. We have many soft corals now and 3 fish and we feed twice a day. In the past 4 weeks we have had zero ammonia, nitrites and nitrates with phosphate remaining at 0.25. I don't see a need for a skimmer at this time for my tank. Even my one SPS coral a red montipora is growing nicely. Now have been doing water changes every ten days or so. I calcium dose every other day and buffer the Ph when gets to 8.0
I am still fairly new to this hobby but I feel that we have reached some sort of equilibrium in our tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back