Nano Skimmers: Yay or Nay?

officialreefbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25 gallon tank that has been up for about 8 months now. I've been debating adding in a nano skimmer partly in hope of reducing my ~weekly water change to monthly. What's everyone's thoughts on nano skimmers?

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
For me a skimmer is more than just a mechanical filter. Its also great for gas exchange and connecting other useful devices like a CO2 scrubber both of which increases PH.

I preordered the IM Fusion 15 cube AIO and looking for a nano skimmer.

AwakenedReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have a Reef Glass skimmer in a 7G cube. It kinda works but keeping the water leveled is hard I don’t have a sump and there is a nano ato.

Honestly I am thinking of just taking it out because it really does not seem to make much difference and sometimes it just decides to really skim and moves a cup or two of water out which causes the ATO to fill fresh water. I probably never needed it really but it adds allot of O2 to the water and I like that.

About 2-3 weeks ago I started doing a 20% water change instead of 10% and upgraded my salt from Instant Ocean to Tropic Marine Reef Pro and quit frankly I am very happy with that. It’s like an new tank now.

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had one of the IceCap mini skimmers in my son's 30gal AIO... it was total garbage. Just like AwakenedReefer said, it was too hard to control the skimming properly. Admittedly we were not using an ATO, but do top it off every night. However, snails kept getting into the motor and breaking it. IceCap sent us a replacement motor, but it just happened again within a month due to the design.
I absolutely see the benefits of it - I use one in my xl300, but it was too much of a problem for the smaller tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back