Nano Tank Dilemma - What Do I Do? :/

ChickReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a LONG history with bad clowns. I would highly recommend surrendering the single clown and purchasing a paired group. I have a 13 gallon nano tank and have tried many attempts with different clowns and down the line it ends tragically. I bought a paired group and it’s been perfect!

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
.......Holy hell.... if that's not a dream tank then I don't know what is. As a beginner to salt, I can tell you with full confidence that I am 10000% envious of that tank. Corals look amazing, fish residents look just as good. Beautiful dude, seriously beautiful!!! :star-struck:
Haha It’s been 16 years in the makings :grinning-face-with-sweat:
It isn’t perfect though and there’s always more to strive for.

We all had humble beginnings once, my first tank was a Nano as well, and back in the day we didn’t have the knowledge nor the equipment and availability we have today. So your journey should be much easier and smoother than mine.

Do I see a PB tang in there? My fav fish for sure!
It’s definitely one of my favorites!

1706754486371.jpeg

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

We all had humble beginnings once, my first tank was a Nano as well, and back in the day we didn’t have the knowledge nor the equipment and availability we have today. So your journey should be much easier and smoother than mine.

1706754486371.jpeg
Wow, absolutely stunning. Glad to hear - I could definitely use the confidence hahaha. I am doing my best to learn and study up on reef tanks, but it's still more intimidating to me than FW. Obviously, I have only been in the salt hobby for no longer than a few months. Sorry to bother you again - but I would love your final answers on the following (taking Friday off so I want to visit my LFS and get a cleaner shrimp [like you said, will be fine with my fire shrimp] and hopefully another clown):

• You recommend getting another ***larger*** Clown versus getting a smaller one or surrendering my current Clown and getting another pair/two Clowns familiar with eachother?
  • I know you said yes earlier - but a Fire shrimp and Cleaner shrimp will be fine together, yes? Also, Cleaner shrimp are more active and hide less, is that right? I have seen vids of Cleaner shrimp cleaning keeper fingers and even cleansing fish inhabitants lol, so I definitely want one.
  • Lastly, if I achieve a pair of Clowns, my Azure Damsel, and 2 Shrimp - could I add another fish? If so, what would you recommend? I want to be courteous of overstocking, and don't want to overdo it.
Thank you again, sorry to bombard you lol.

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course! Hopefully they are viewable, sometimes R2R gives me some trouble - I think it's because they are HD. Also, it's almost 9PM for me so it might be hard to see the Clown & Damsel!
2.jpeg

1.jpeg

3.jpeg
I am thinking about getting one of those myself, they are nice, I only had my IM 15 gal for about 45 days, and my corals are already growing fast like crazy and looking for a new tank.

Attachments

• 15 AOI 43.jpg
    15 AOI 43.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about getting one of those myself, they are nice, I only had my IM 15 gal for about 45 days, and my corals are already growing fast like crazy and looking for a new tank.
No kidding, your tank looks amazing. Corals looking like that only after a month and a half makes me jealous lol - I am still nervous to get a few frags as I am still learning up on the hobby.

Anyways, I highly recommend the Red Sea Peninsula or Nano. Such a clean look, very easy to maintain, and not to mention the LED 50 light. If you have any questions about it, I can help - just LMK or shoot me a message! :)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Clown has been alone for 2 weeks (3 max). I believe both of them were male when I got them, they were both the same size (no bigger than 2 inches) and definitely not paired yet as they were young. The one that made it is still rather small, so I'm assuming he's still a male.

As for the damsel suppressing the clown's sex change, I don't think that's the case. I was just saying that I am worried that adding a new fish in general, would provoke the Damsel.
Sometimes you get lucky at a LFS and find a larger clown likely to be female. I usually say always add a smaller one than the one you have but sounds like the one you have is tiny anyway. Damsel would probably go nuts on a small one. Damsel probably will still go nuts on a new clown but a bigger one will hold its own. If you go to cultivated reef they have so many aqua-cultured clowns and you can pick your size!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, absolutely stunning. Glad to hear - I could definitely use the confidence hahaha. I am doing my best to learn and study up on reef tanks, but it's still more intimidating to me than FW. Obviously, I have only been in the salt hobby for no longer than a few months. Sorry to bother you again - but I would love your final answers on the following (taking Friday off so I want to visit my LFS and get a cleaner shrimp [like you said, will be fine with my fire shrimp] and hopefully another clown):

• You recommend getting another ***larger*** Clown versus getting a smaller one or surrendering my current Clown and getting another pair/two Clowns familiar with eachother?
  • I know you said yes earlier - but a Fire shrimp and Cleaner shrimp will be fine together, yes? Also, Cleaner shrimp are more active and hide less, is that right? I have seen vids of Cleaner shrimp cleaning keeper fingers and even cleansing fish inhabitants lol, so I definitely want one.
  • Lastly, if I achieve a pair of Clowns, my Azure Damsel, and 2 Shrimp - could I add another fish? If so, what would you recommend? I want to be courteous of overstocking, and don't want to overdo it.
Yes shrimps are fine, cleaners are out more where as the blood/fire shrimp are more shy and more on the nocturnal side, they like the dark. And you could probably add a smaller blenny or a goby to this tank! Blennies are so fun. I would not surrender your current clown

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1706754486371.jpeg
1706757398885.gif

PBT…. But so beautiful ugh

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, absolutely stunning. Glad to hear - I could definitely use the confidence hahaha. I am doing my best to learn and study up on reef tanks, but it's still more intimidating to me than FW. Obviously, I have only been in the salt hobby for no longer than a few months.
Take your time and do each step by throughly researching the subject first.
When you do this you gain both the knowledge and confidence to deal with all the possible scenarios you may encounter.

You recommend getting another ***larger*** Clown versus getting a smaller one or surrendering my current Clown and getting another pair/two Clowns familiar with eachother?
Indeed. I can only speak from my own experience, however I’ve heard more success stories than failures and I feel like it’s worth while trying.

The reason why I specifically advised to add a female is because of the damsel, they’re quite aggressive and it’ll start attacking it regardless of the size of the new clown.
Though a bigger one would have a better chance protecting itself.

I know you said yes earlier - but a Fire shrimp and Cleaner shrimp will be fine together, yes? Also, Cleaner shrimp are more active and hide less, is that right?
I’ve never seen them bother each other, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Fire shrimp usually hide all day and come out only when you feed.
Cleaner shrimp on the other hand are far more active and visible.

could I add another fish? If so, what would you recommend? I want to be courteous of overstocking, and don't want to overdo it.
You could probably add 2 more small fish in there, however I’d wait a bit more till you introduce some corals for nutrient consumption as well as to better get familiar with your system under load.

As for fish - I’d recommend adding a Lawnmower Blenny as a herbivoirour, a sand sifting goby if you have sand or even a Mandrain or a Scooter once you have a good and stable copepod population growing in there (or you could also cloture them separately and feed).

No worries ;)

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes shrimps are fine, cleaners are out more where as the blood/fire shrimp are more shy and more on the nocturnal side, they like the dark. And you could probably add a smaller blenny or a goby to this tank! Blennies are so fun. I would not surrender your current clown
TYSM! I really don't want to surrender my current clown, so thank you for the reassurance. As for blennies and gobies, I will do some research! :)

Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your time and do each step by throughly researching the subject first.
When you do this you gain both the knowledge and confidence to deal with all the possible scenarios you may encounter.

Indeed. I can only speak from my own experience, however I’ve heard more success stories than failures and I feel like it’s worth while trying.

The reason why I specifically advised to add a female is because of the damsel, they’re quite aggressive and it’ll start attacking it regardless of the size of the new clown.
Though a bigger one would have a better chance protecting itself.

I’ve never seen them bother each other, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Fire shrimp usually hide all day and come out only when you feed.
Cleaner shrimp on the other hand are far more active and visible.

You could probably add 2 more small fish in there, however I’d wait a bit more till you introduce some corals for nutrient consumption as well as to better get familiar with your system under load.

As for fish - I’d recommend adding a Lawnmower Blenny as a herbivoirour, a sand sifting goby if you have sand or even a Mandrain or a Scooter once you have a good and stable copepod population growing in there (or you could also cloture them separately and feed).

No worries ;)
Ah, you're the best - can't express my gratitude more for your thorough responses. I will head to my LFS and get a healthy larger/female Clown along with a Cleaner shrimp on Friday and tag you with an update (if you don't mind). :)

Definitely will look into Blennys and Gobies in time - just want to take it slow like you said. A mate for my current clown first, and then another resident later!

Thank you Dany!

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the space and the means to support it - I’d go for a 70-100 gallon tank.
Tank upgrades are hard, and you quickly out grow the size of your tank, no matter how big you think it is - so doing it one less time would be a wise choice when possible.

1706757398885.gif

PBT…. But so beautiful ugh
He’s actually quite peaceful, far more than my Purple Tang and Scopas.
I don’t know why he got a bad name for being evil.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, you're the best - can't express my gratitude more for your thorough responses. I will head to my LFS and get a healthy larger/female Clown along with a Cleaner shrimp on Friday and tag you with an update (if you don't mind). :)

Definitely will look into Blennys and Gobies in time - just want to take it slow like you said. A mate for my current clown first, and then another resident later!

Thank you Dany!
Sure, would love to get an update.

When introducing the new clown, keep it in an acclimation box for a few days, then at night time feed well and release him when the lights are out.
This will give it a good opportunity to get familiar with the tank and find a hiding place for the first days.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
King George

King George

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, would love to get an update.

When introducing the new clown, keep it in an acclimation box for a few days, then at night time feed well and release him when the lights are out.
This will give it a good opportunity to get familiar with the tank and find a hiding place for the first days.

Good Luck!
Will do - thank you!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back