Nano tank owners, what sand are you using?

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank up and running for almost 2 months now and starting to regret using the CaribSea Fiji Pink. While it looks great, that sand grain is small and blows around my tank from the return pump (66% power w/RFG) water hitting the front glass. Every day I ahve to smooth out the sand bed in a certain spot. Really worried when I get a power head that it will be even worse.

Since I only have one Clownfish and one conch, was thinking this would be the time to make any major changes. Was thinking of pulling out the Fiji Pink and replacing it with the CaribSea Natural Reef. Grain size is quite a bit larger at 3 to 5.5mm. Hoping this will be big enough it doesn't blow around.

What are you using? Thoughts on my replacement sand?

stylolvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following to hear what the experts have to say I’m working on setting up a 20 cube and am struggling with the sand decision.

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
struggling with the sand decision.
While it looks great my 2 cents is to stay away from a fine grain sand like Fiji Pink. Your tank is similar in size to mine. Anytime I do anything the sand blows around and on my rocks. Worried when I start getting corals I'll be blowing sand onto them.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
caribsea fiji pink .5-1mm always :D I have never had problems with sand blowing, and most tanks run high flow.
I think it may actually be arag alive that makes the larger grain (.5-1mm) in pink. They might be the same company, I dont know, but the .25mm is probably what is blowing around.
Could always just place a inch of large grain on top, to not disturb things as much.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a bunch, any idea which one?
No I'm sorry not exactly sure which one is it's been a while I've had the sand in my tank I can take a picture of one of my new refresher ones though and I don't know if that would help or not though

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carribsea special grade reef select is what you are looking for. I use it in all my tanks after making the same basic mistake you did initially.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not 100% stay put for me but it does a very decent job looks very well and is nice for my wrasse

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. The grain size isn't much bigger than what I currently have with the Fiji Pink.

If you have really high flow, then it will still get blown around. But it doesn't blow as much as finer sands that I've tried. In higher flow areas I mostly end up with the bigger sizes while the smaller grains end up settling elsewhere in the tank.

It's basically as big as you can get while still being sand. If you want bigger than that, I think crushed coral is what you'll want. The issue there is, and in some bigger pieces even with the reef select, they get coraline algae on them and lose their color. So you end up with more of a purple sandbed.

Quasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Premium aquatics sells a a couple of larger grains from Tropic Eden. I’ve used the mesoflakes before and really liked it as well. If I remember right it’s 2-3mm

OP
OP
Jib

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have really high flow, then it will still get blown around. But it doesn't blow as much as finer sands that I've tried. In higher flow areas I mostly end up with the bigger sizes while the smaller grains end up settling elsewhere in the tank.

It's basically as big as you can get while still being sand. If you want bigger than that, I think crushed coral is what you'll want. The issue there is, and in some bigger pieces even with the reef select, they get coraline algae on them and lose their color. So you end up with more of a purple sandbed.
I don't have realy high flow, thats why I'm looking to ditch what I and suprised to see people not having isses with soemthing that isnt much larger. Good info about the Coralline algae and crushed coral.

un5tab1e

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use caribsea Hawaiian Black. I think a lot use special grade because it's a bigger grain.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Premium aquatics sells a a couple of larger grains from Tropic Eden. I’ve used the mesoflakes before and really liked it as well. If I remember right it’s 2-3mm

Any issues with coraline growing on them?

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use caribsea Hawaiian Black. I think a lot use special grade because it's a bigger grain.

I tried that in my 25g cube initially. It's really good/big grain size, I had no issues with it blowing around.

I ended up not liking how dark it made the tank seem though, so I went back to white sand.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back