OP
OP
edc_aquarium

edc_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips are always recommended on top of a QT, reason for this is dips will not kill certain parasites in there tomont state. But will kill lots of other harmful things. Only thing that kills the tomonts is time... After they hatch they need a food source and without one they die off.

Oh okay I understand now

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a couple really good threads on Quarantining corals and everything else here that are well worth the read.

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude what is he going to QT his corals in a 1 gallon? Dip them and put them in bro. Quarentining corals is for people with huge systems and thousands of dollars at stake.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should he quarentine his corals in a one gallon?

Whatever size he feels like QTing in. I have a small system and will be QTing my corals cause Id rather not deal with the potential issues of not doing it. It's a personal decision and some are against it and some are for it. Doesn' hurt to set up a QT and protect yourself from any potential issues that could arise from not doing it.

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever size he feels like QTing in. I have a small system and will be QTing my corals cause Id rather not deal with the potential issues of not doing it. It's a personal decision and some are against it and some are for it. Doesn' hurt to set up a QT and protect yourself from any potential issues that could arise from not doing it.
I guess I don't understand your logic. You are suggesting that a kid who addmitedly is reefing on a budget should set up a complete other system in order to QT a couple hundred dollars worth of coral at most. I feel that is just going to discourage him in participating in the hobby and really makes it sound a lot harder then it actually is.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I don't understand your logic. You are suggesting that a kid who addmitedly is reefing on a budget should set up a complete other system in order to QT a couple hundred dollars worth of coral at most. I feel that is just going to discourage him in participating in the hobby and really makes it sound a lot harder then it actually is.

It is as you put it, a suggestion. A QT doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor. I feel being newer to the hobby and adding something that wasn't QT'd properly which could potentially kill his first fish might discourage him more than the slight cost of a QT. But to each there own. If you had read the whole thread you'd have noticed he's in the process of setting up a 55 gal, is it not worth it to QT additions for that as well? In your expert opinion whats the appropriate size of system to start worrying about QT? Ultimately it's up to him, I'm just suggesting a safe route to atleast research and look into for him to weigh the benefits of it for himself. Instead of the dip and pray method you're suggesting. Atleast if he researchs QT methods whether he decideds to set one up or not he is familiar with what's needed to do so. So when he does introduce something unwanted he could be prepared to handle it much quicker (Which he would need a QT for anyway).

Last edited:

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is as you put it, a suggestion. A QT doesn't have to be an expensive endeavor. I feel being newer to the hobby and adding something that wasn't QT'd properly which could potentially kill his first fish might discourage him more than the slight cost of a QT. But to each there own. If you had read the whole thread you'd have noticed he's in the process of setting up a 55 gal, is it not worth it to QT additions for that as well? In your expert opinion whats the appropriate size of system to start worrying about QT? Ultimately it's up to him, I'm just suggesting a safe route to atleast research and look into for him to weigh the benefits of it for himself. Instead of the dip and pray method you're suggesting. Atleast if he researchs QT methods whether he decideds to set one up or not he is familiar with what's needed to do so. So when he does introduce something unwanted he could be prepared to handle it much quicker (Which he would need a QT for anyway).
I am sorry I have angered you.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry I have angered you.

No need to apologize, I took your comments as slightly condescending and I reacted in that sense which wasn't good. So I'm sorry for that, he could go either way and that's really up to him to decide with his own research into both methods which will work for him.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don’t quarantine coral or recommend to if they’re in a fishless system at my LFS (most of them are). Dip everything that comes through though.. Fish are certainly a different story[emoji28]

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the coral at my LFS have fish in with them which greatly limits my ability to go about it that way. And you never know when buying online which can make it difficult as well. But if in a fishless system it for sure lowers the risk.

Back