Nanobox T5/LED hybrid issues

  • Thread starter Thread starter Husker
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Husker

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 31, 2016
Messages
542
Reaction score
418
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: UPDATE: Everything was a user error on my part. I was misunderstanding the programming of the light due to the custom nature of the LED part of this hybrid light (I only have blue/royal blue LEDs but they are controllable through all channels). I highly recommend this light/company. Best of both worlds for a clean looking T5/LED hybrid, plus great customer service.



I had Dave at Nanobox make a retrofit T5/LED light for my newest tank. I really like the setup, but there are some issues with the LEDs that I hope could be an easy enough fix for people who know what they are doing.

The light:
-ATI 8 Bulb T5 modified to 6 bulb
-5 clusters of LEDs on each side (10 clusters total); Each cluster contains 6 LED diodes of blue/royal blue only
-LEDs controlled by Bluefish wireless controller

Problems:
-
The reflectors on the light were pretty beat up; Dave was nice enough to send new reflectors, and I took out the old ones and installed the new ones (FIXED)
-Of the 5 LED clusters on each side, only the 4 closest to the power supply turn on; meaning 1 cluster on each side doesn't turn on
-On one side, all 6 LED diodes per cluster are turning on, but on the other side only 3 LEDs per cluster turn on

I emailed him about the LED problems about a week ago and haven't heard back, so I sent some rough pictures this morning. I can't imagine the fix would be very easy, but maybe some of you LED gurus have an idea. I'm hoping it is a control problem and not a wiring problem. The light still works really well, and I don't really need all the LEDs it came with... its just that I would like to use everything that is there. Plus, it is brand new.

Any ideas?????
 
Last edited:
Here are some pretty bad cell phone pictures. It is a hard phenomenon to photograph.
d7c87cd74775ec400bf3d0b15fb531b1.jpg
c0ebefc402cd5e51d0112fb4c5ff2493.jpg
 
I would send the whole unit back. I would not have accepted that. If it was supposed to be a new fixture, why are you working on it and having to deal with these problems?
 
Tyler,
A good customer just send this link to me. I moved last week into a new office and must have missed this email.

Responding to your email now!

-Dave
 
I would send the whole unit back. I would not have accepted that. If it was supposed to be a new fixture, why are you working on it and having to deal with these problems?

Well, this is a guy's small business. A guy who does really quality work, in my opinion (there are many examples of this quality on others' tanks). It isn't like Walmart sent a product with some problems. I imagine something either got dislodged in shipping or I might not be doing something correctly with the setup. Either way, it seems like it would be best for both of us if I could figure out how to fix it easily and cheaply (I don't really want to take down my light now that I have corals, and I also don't want to hurt a small business that has been great to work with).
 
Tyler,
A good customer just send this link to me. I moved last week into a new office and must have missed this email.

Responding to your email now!

-Dave

Thanks, Dave. No worries about the missed email.

The intention of this post was not public criticism, I just was hoping for advice leading to a simple fix.
 
UPDATE:

Everything in the light works perfectly well. My problems were in the programming of the light, due to the unique setup I am running. Because I am only using blue LEDs, the LED control is spread across all channels in order to control the different clusters independently. Dave was fantastic in helping me figure this out, and I highly recommend his T5/LED hybrid system for LED tanks. I have only had it up for a few weeks and I am bringing back to life Acros that almost completely died in the tank transfer challenges.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new