Naso Tang dying

wcj_ink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My naso was perfectly fine yesterday. Swimming and eating like a pig and today he is swimming doing 360s and has no strength. Swimming into powerheads and getting stuck etc…please help

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My naso was perfectly fine yesterday. Swimming and eating like a pig and today he is swimming doing 360s and has no strength. Swimming into powerheads and getting stuck etc…please help
hard to assess with videos and pics under white lighting. Prognosis does not sound good but please post requested.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on needing more background info and video, this post explains that:
Jay

OP
OP
W

wcj_ink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been moved to qt and now just laying in the corner. Still breathing and moving very little. His eyes have become cloudy now. When he was swimming he would move his tail and then let the current take him while his body turned in circles.
CAC8C0C6-F988-4B44-969C-8BDF9FAD31E3.jpeg
C38902E6-2741-4E10-8B2B-BD7C5FEF9051.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has been moved to qt and now just laying in the corner. Still breathing and moving very little. His eyes have become cloudy now. When he was swimming he would move his tail and then let the current take him while his body turned in circles.
CAC8C0C6-F988-4B44-969C-8BDF9FAD31E3.jpeg
C38902E6-2741-4E10-8B2B-BD7C5FEF9051.jpeg
Without full background info as described in the post I made there really isn’t anything to tell you other than the fish sounds moribund, close to dying.
Jay

OP
OP
W

wcj_ink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without full background info as described in the post I made there really isn’t anything to tell you other than the fish sounds moribund, close to dying.
Jay
I’ve had the Naso for 3 weeks now. He was healthy as can be, swimming strong and eating everything i put in the tank. Feed nori everyday too. All parameters in the tank are stable and within range.

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know where your naso came from?

OP
OP
W

wcj_ink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from the local fish store but i do not know the origins

Max93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from the local fish store but i do not know the origins
I think the origins might reveal a potential issue of the fishes health due to the collection methods of these fish. You can try calling your LFS and ask them who the wholesaler was and where they got the fish from. That’s one possibility but I could be wrong.

just my first thought when I saw your post I’m no expert, but it was my initial thought.

another thought is what is your SG and what are you using to measure it? Is this fish new and just added him in?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve had the Naso for 3 weeks now. He was healthy as can be, swimming strong and eating everything i put in the tank. Feed nori everyday too. All parameters in the tank are stable and within range.
This has been a recent case with Naso tangs mainly from Sri Lanka in which they are healthy then deteriorate in this fashion. Both you and LFS may not know origin as wholesalers may or may not even know. This fish does not look like a new acquisition and often as with mine a while back, flukes may trigger this without warning signs as they have a velvety texture to them already.
Looking at the retina damage/dots is a first sign of fish becoming moribund why I requested pics. Im sorry firstly to see fish in this condition and to reiterate what Jay stated- Fish appears Moribund which is a condition similar to comatose state and fish may or may not make it. Adding aeration with air stone may help its breathing However if fish is inactive and not eating as its doing, " hope for the best but expect the worse outcome".
If you have a quarantine tank, you can set up fresh seawater, airstone and apply Prazi as I had to do with mine and hope for a miracle turn-around

OP
OP
W

wcj_ink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the origins might reveal a potential issue of the fishes health due to the collection methods of these fish. You can try calling your LFS and ask them who the wholesaler was and where they got the fish from. That’s one possibility but I could be wrong.

just my first thought when I saw your post I’m no expert, but it was my initial thought.

another thought is what is your SG and what are you using to measure it? Is this fish new and just added him in?

OP
OP
W

wcj_ink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s been in the tank for 3 weeks and was quarantined before that. Here’s my parameters. They have been steady at these numbers.

Attachments

• 13199F2F-5FC9-45FE-A54C-86D9AAD272F8.jpeg
    13199F2F-5FC9-45FE-A54C-86D9AAD272F8.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
W

wcj_ink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a recent case with Naso tangs mainly from Sri Lanka in which they are healthy then deteriorate in this fashion. Both you and LFS may not know origin as wholesalers may or may not even know. This fish does not look like a new acquisition and often as with mine a while back, flukes may trigger this without warning signs as they have a velvety texture to them already.
Looking at the retina damage/dots is a first sign of fish becoming moribund why I requested pics. Im sorry firstly to see fish in this condition and to reiterate what Jay stated- Fish appears Moribund which is a condition similar to comatose state and fish may or may not make it. Adding aeration with air stone may help its breathing However if fish is inactive and not eating as its doing, " hope for the best but expect the worse outcome".
If you have a quarantine tank, you can set up fresh seawater, airstone and apply Prazi as I had to do with mine and hope for a miracle turn-around
Exactly what i was thinking as well. He is back in qt and already added prazi (fingers crossed) i hate to see them like this and he is still fighting trying to swim. I have to go dig up my air pump now to set up the airstone

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other fish in with showing signs of problems? If not, this does sound like the issue we are seeing with nasos dropping a few weeks after purchase, for no apparent reason - but the reason is they were collected cyanide, and are suffering fatal organ damage. We’ve seen a big increase in this since Hawaii collection was shut down and importers started getting nasos from other areas.
Jay

OP
OP
W

wcj_ink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other fish in with showing signs of problems? If not, this does sound like the issue we are seeing with nasos dropping a few weeks after purchase, for no apparent reason - but the reason is they were collected cyanide, and are suffering fatal organ damage. We’ve seen a big increase in this since Hawaii collection was shut down and importers started getting nasos from other areas.
Jay
No other fish is suffering. Everyone is happy, eating and active. This happened unexpectedly today about 1hr into lights on and i noticed the behavior when i fed the tank and the Naso was in the top back corner of the tank just swimming in place and not eating. Thats when I started to worry about him and keep an eye out.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 47 42.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 52 46.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back