Emergency - Blond naso tang swim up and down

reef_zh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas all! Been reading and learning in reef2reef for a while and this is my first post and need some help to save my blond naso tang. I had him in my DT over 3 months now and he had been doing fine and healthy. Yesterday I notice my blond naso have stressed mark during the day when I was feeding the tank and he did not eat nori when I put it. Usually he go crazy over nori, but he did he did not eat any nori yesterday and just swimming around the nori click. This early morning when I feeding my tank again, I did not saw him come out and I finally found him got stuck to the power head. I stopped the power head and got him over to my QT and notice he was jumping around and try to put his mouth out of water. I put a air stone in QT and finally he move to down corner of QT for whole day. Until now, I saw him swimming up and down again. Forgot to mention, I also treat him with KannaPlex today in QT to release him popeye and possible injury from power head. Below are the video that I take and sorry if it’s bit dark as I dont want to put more stress on my baby naso tang. Thanks in advance for the help.

160g DT
15g AIO QT
Tank parameters:
KH: 10
NO3: 5.2
PO4: .02
PH: 8.27-8.2
CA: 360

Other tank mate;
Lawn mower
Saifin tang
Powder blond tang
Clown tang
2 fire fish
Clownfish

IMG_2453.jpeg IMG_2452.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2450.mov
    25.9 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reef_zh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I observed yesterday while he had stressed mark and not eating, he was try to pick on lawn mower. Not sure if there is fish concussion and got injured in his head or what. But I did not notice any other wound on him today. I never saw him picking on any one in past few months. Also last week his left side fin had a bit and was fully recovered. I also observed that my DT had some brittle worm and one time saw few of them on LR on night, could him got bothered by that and hit his head to something? Any way, I will like to do something to save him. Thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Merry Christmas all! Been reading and learning in reef2reef for a while and this is my first post and need some help to save my blond naso tang. I had him in my DT over 3 months now and he had been doing fine and healthy. Yesterday I notice my blond naso have stressed mark during the day when I was feeding the tank and he did not eat nori when I put it. Usually he go crazy over nori, but he did he did not eat any nori yesterday and just swimming around the nori click. This early morning when I feeding my tank again, I did not saw him come out and I finally found him got stuck to the power head. I stopped the power head and got him over to my QT and notice he was jumping around and try to put his mouth out of water. I put a air stone in QT and finally he move to down corner of QT for whole day. Until now, I saw him swimming up and down again. Forgot to mention, I also treat him with KannaPlex today in QT to release him popeye and possible injury from power head. Below are the video that I take and sorry if it’s bit dark as I dont want to put more stress on my baby naso tang. Thanks in advance for the help.

160g DT
15g AIO QT
Tank parameters:
KH: 10
NO3: 5.2
PO4: .02
PH: 8.27-8.2
CA: 360

Other tank mate;
Lawn mower
Saifin tang
Powder blond tang
Clown tang
2 fire fish
Clownfish

IMG_2453.jpeg IMG_2452.jpeg
Fish appears to be getting to the point of moribund but pics are very fuzzy to see any other issues. Unfortunately, for about 13 months now- this has been a trend. An influx of these fish are coming fromn Sri Lanka and it is suspected that a method of capture is contributing to this trend in which the fish appears healthy the first few days and then weakens quickly with loss of appetite and strength and as you found layin on its side, thin body and breathing heavy until death. It may be due to cyanide capture but unconfirmed.
Sorry to hear of this and being the bearer of bad news. Often in this state of health , recovery is very low as they are moribund and adding air stone may or may not help, but there is no additive that can be recommended for this

crazereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand a methylene blue dip might help if its cyanide poisoning. Have you checked for flukes?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I understand a methylene blue dip might help if its cyanide poisoning. Have you checked for flukes?
methylene blue treats wounds and ammonia burn and does not cure cyanide effects.

OP
OP
R

reef_zh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks all for your prompt response.
@vetteguy53081, I saw your response in another thread and only confusion I had is that I had him for three months already and that could still been health issue due to cyanide poisoning.

@crazereef, I did not notice any symptom for fluke, I will do a freshwater dip tomorrow if that help. Only concern I had is will that further stress him further. I do have Prazipro on hand. Should I start Prazipro treatment?

I will take a clear picture tomorrow morning. Thanks

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
thanks all for your prompt response.
@vetteguy53081, I saw your response in another thread and only confusion I had is that I had him for three months already and that could still been health issue due to cyanide poisoning.

@crazereef, I did not notice any symptom for fluke, I will do a freshwater dip tomorrow if that help. Only concern I had is will that further stress him further.

I will take a clear picture tomorrow morning. Thanks
Not always cyanide poisoning but a suspect method used and they feed off their liver before reaching this state of health which is over several weeks. FW dips may very well cause death with fish in this condition

crazereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
methylene blue treats wounds and ammonia burn and does not cure cyanide effects.
I was under the impression it did according to this thread?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression it did according to this thread?
Methylene blue can be used orally in mammals to help as an oxygen donor for acute cyanide poisoning. It does not work on fish weeks to months after exposure - in those cases, there has been organ damage. This is an example of over extrapolation - where people try to apply one area of medicine to another.
I’m not sure that the problem we are seeing with blonde naso tangs is cyanide, they are usually caught in barrier nets.
However, there is an increased mortality in these fish, where they often die weeks to months later for no known reason. I put this species on my “avoid” list for that reason.
I can’t rule out your injury hypothesis, other than those are pretty rare.
Jay

OP
OP
R

reef_zh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks all for your input and here are some more pictures I took this morning.

IMG_2471.jpeg IMG_2470.jpeg IMG_2465.jpeg

Last edited:

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish appears to be getting to the point of moribund but pics are very fuzzy to see any other issues. Unfortunately, for about 13 months now- this has been a trend. An influx of these fish are coming fromn Sri Lanka and it is suspected that a method of capture is contributing to this trend in which the fish appears healthy the first few days and then weakens quickly with loss of appetite and strength and as you found layin on its side, thin body and breathing heavy until death. It may be due to cyanide capture but unconfirmed.
Sorry to hear of this and being the bearer of bad news. Often in this state of health , recovery is very low as they are moribund and adding air stone may or may not help, but there is no additive that can be recommended for this
Where can information on fish imports like this or diseases be found.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
thanks all for your input and here are some more pictures I took this morning.

IMG_2471.jpeg IMG_2470.jpeg IMG_2465.jpeg
Fish is stuck to powerhead and indeed moribund, sad to see
Information is on this forum and I’m in touch with stores and importers as I owned a pet store
I believe I have a link I can send in a bit

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This fish seems to be at a point where euthanasia is the kindest option. Animals with severe, irreversible organ damage should be put out of their misery instead of letting them slowly die. My book, get yourself some clove essential oil, and follow the directions below.
If you can't get clove oil, you might consider whether you think you can reliably pith it, which means destroying the brain completely with one quick blow. Freezing, though sometimes recommended to euthanize fish, isn't known to be humane.
Put the fish in a container of tank water, with a hiding place. Gentle aeration and heating are a good idea, though not mandatory.

Add a few drops of clove oil to a half-full bottle of tank water and shake violently to mix.

Use a bit of airline tubing to set up a siphon from the bottle, without siphoning into the container with the fish yet.

Tie a knot in the tubing so it's dripping rather than flowing, and position it so it drips into the container. You want to add the clove oil mixture slowly, to avoid irritation. Important: watch closely for any sort of oil film developing on the water's surface, and remove the film if you see it. You don't want the fish putting its face through a film of pure clove oil, as that will burn its gills and cause it pain.

Clove oil is an anesthetic. You'll see the fish start to slow down and become less responsive. Make sure to keep the bottle topped up, and you'll see it eventually settle onto the bottom and tip over onto its side.

The clove oil has to be added slowly because it's an irritant in large concentrations, so you want the fish entirely unconscious before you add enough to be lethal. Once the fish is completely unresponsive and doesn't move even when prodded, pour in a fair amount of clove oil mixture, then leave the fish in there for a few hours if not overnight. It'll die unconscious, without any suffering or stress beyond the stress of being caught into the bucket.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish seems to be at a point where euthanasia is the kindest option. Animals with severe, irreversible organ damage should be put out of their misery instead of letting them slowly die. My book, get yourself some clove essential oil, and follow the directions below.
If you can't get clove oil, you might consider whether you think you can reliably pith it, which means destroying the brain completely with one quick blow. Freezing, though sometimes recommended to euthanize fish, isn't known to be humane.
I have an article about fish euthanasia here:

Jay

OP
OP
R

reef_zh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is doing a bit better today in QT and able swim around sometimes, but still not eating him favorite nori and stay in corner most of the time. Thanks all for helping and I will continue keep close eye on him.

@Jay Hemdal, I saw your force feeding in another thread and wondering should I consider force feeding him, since he had not been eating in 3 days. Or should just monitor for another day or two and see. Thanks again for your help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%

Back