Naso tang's ribs showing

justonwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a relatively new naso tang. She's about 2 months old. She's been skinny for about a month, with ribs showing clearly, despite the fact that I've been feeding her like crazy. I feed mysis once per day, pellet food twice per day, and 2 sheets of nori per day. She eats all of that, but it doesn't seem like she ever fattens up.

She seems healthy and lively otherwise. Am I missing something?

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She could possibly have a tapeworm. If you quarantine her and use Prazzipro. This will address potential tapeworm, flukes as well.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Exactly right. You'll want to find out if his poop is white and stringy. I think it probably will be and that indicates intestinal worms. Metroplex or General cure is what you want for that. It's best if you can feed it to them to get the meds directly to the gut where the problem is. You would want to bind it to the food using Seachem's Focus. doing it this way, you can treat him in the display.

yellowseahorse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happens to WC seahorses all the time. We tend to gut load brine shrimp with metroplex. We tend to do this for a few weeks until the poop is back to purple and not stringy.

OP
OP
justonwo

justonwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been able to catch this fish in the act, so I'm not sure what color the poop is. I haven't seen any indication of white, stringy poop. Good to know that I can treat in the display if I have to, because I don't have a quarantine tank. Here's a video of the poor thing. It also seems to have been impaled on its left side recently, as there's a little injury there.

OP
OP
justonwo

justonwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, maybe there's no issue with this fish at all? I've never owned a naso tang before, so I have no basis for comparison, but when checking out pictures of other tangs online, they all seem to show their ribs.

This random picture I found online shows about as much rib/bone as my fish does. Perhaps it's normal? Frankly, I didn't really notice when I got the fish how plump or not plump it was.

This is a random photo of another naso - NOT MINE - just to be clear. It looks pretty similar to mine so maybe mine is healthy?

35101663_1.jpg

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Exactly right. You'll want to find out if his poop is white and stringy. I think it probably will be and that indicates intestinal worms. Metroplex or General cure is what you want for that. It's best if you can feed it to them to get the meds directly to the gut where the problem is. You would want to bind it to the food using Seachem's Focus. doing it this way, you can treat him in the display.
I agree.

If it were me and he eats as you describe I would treat the tank with prazi and soak food in metro with the focus binder she mentioned.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks healthy to me. I have a 6 inch naso. Feed mine pellet food once a day and larry's herbovore blend once a day. Make sure u give them so vitamins(selcon, or garlic guard)

I agree - I don't see anything concerning from the video. Yours looks like a young adult, and it just hasn't "filled in" yet. :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks very healthy, naso tangs are fast strong swimmers and I swear you can see their muscles working. They love flow and will swim fast from one end to the other on a long tank like nothing.

OP
OP
justonwo

justonwo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still really appreciate the help, all. That naso tang is really beautiful and adds a lot of personality and color to the tank.

ttnguyen98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got only a Naso Tang (3.5”-4”) in my 10 gal QT for one week. I dose Seachem cupramine and the copper level is at 0.30 using Seachem copper test kit. He looks stressed at first in the new environment and is not eating at all since day 1 in QT (feeding a variety of spectrum pellets and dry green seaweed both soaked with Selcon+garlic tied to a rock , mysis shrimp, red dragon’s breath MacroAlgae). He does eat dry seawweed and looks fat at the LFS. Now I saw a bone line across his body and worry that he might die from starvation. He is still swimming around and no signs of ich. I do 25% water change when ammonia test badge is at alert level (0.05 ppm). Aeration is provided with air stone and a nano power head agitating the top water surface.
My copper level is down to 0.15 from 0.30 after a couple of WCs. Naso Tang seems to be a bit more active.
What is the course of action now? 1) The copper treatment may curb his appetite. 2) he might have some intestinal parasites? Can’t see his poos on the spot. I am thinking stopping the cupramine and start thr API General Cure to deworm him.
What are your best advice? A short video is attached for your observation. I appreciate all of your comments. Thanks in advance.
Got an error (wrong video extension) when uploading the video from my I pad Air.

Here is the YouTube link for the video.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I would concentrate more on the ammonia. Tangs can be very sensitive to ammonia and I can see your green alert badge. I would maintain copper and start doing WC’s to get that back to 0 (ammonia).

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back