Naso with yellow tang in 4 ft

Frenzel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, before the tang police have a heart attack, this will be around an 18 month situation with two juvenile tangs. Both are 2-3 inches.

The tank is 48 x 22 x 22. The yellow has been in the tank for about 10 months, wanting to add the Naso as saw a beautiful specimen at Lfs today. Ultimately will be moving to a 72 x 30 x 24 in about 18 -24 months.

Just wanting to know if there are any concerns in the short to medium term whilst in this tank both from a territorial and volume perspective over the given time period. Thanks.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be ok considering they are different Tang body types. Will probably scuffle for a day or two and then be ok. if you have an in tank acclimation box so they can get used to each other that would help. Only thing i’d add is that even if the Naso looks nice in the store, they seem to be delicate at that size and are not hardy at all so a QT would be advised with lots of Selcon and vitachem enriched Nori and feedings.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to tangs and territory, those two types don’t raise any red flags. Just know that there’s always a chance one could turn out to be too aggressive. More than likely one will claim dominance through a sort of pecking order and so long as the other accepts this, the two can coexist in that tank. Till they out grow the dimensions.

OP
OP
F

Frenzel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input guys.

Seems ok initially, but always thought 6 x 2.5 would be enough to house most tangs, but now reading maybe that’s not enough length for a lipstick fully grown. Hesitant to pull the trigger as always want the best for the animals despite my desires and don’t like the idea of removing down the track.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never kept a naso - but have a related Vlamingi in a 180 and 8 to 10 months old and am counting down the months before I have to re-home it. Great personality BUT grew very big, very fast.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back