Nassarius babies?

Titleist1964

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 26, 2022
Messages
352
Reaction score
246
Location
02852
What state or country do you live in
Rhode Island
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as the title implies, could it be so? My tank was set up using LR/LS from @LiverockRocks, absolutely amazing stuff despite the unwanted hitch hikers, but that's the dice we roll and know going in there's going to be something in there you won't want. None the less it's been great.

To the point, the tank was set up on 3/29/22, shortly after I added 6 Trochus and 3 Nassarius snails, but since Father's Day weekend my daughter noticed several tiny lil snails moving about the rocks, glass and substrate. I've read where it's extremely rare for Nas snails to breed and or even have anything survive if they do. I have these lil guys popping up all over. The 2 on the Zoas are small and I've seen several more even smaller. Could they have breed in my tank? Thoughts? TIA.
Nas1.jpg
Nas2.jpg
 
So as the title implies, could it be so? My tank was set up using LR/LS from @LiverockRocks, absolutely amazing stuff despite the unwanted hitch hikers, but that's the dice we roll and know going in there's going to be something in there you won't want. None the less it's been great.

To the point, the tank was set up on 3/29/22, shortly after I added 6 Trochus and 3 Nassarius snails, but since Father's Day weekend my daughter noticed several tiny lil snails moving about the rocks, glass and substrate. I've read where it's extremely rare for Nas snails to breed and or even have anything survive if they do. I have these lil guys popping up all over. The 2 on the Zoas are small and I've seen several more even smaller. Could they have breed in my tank? Thoughts? TIA.
Nas1.jpg
Nas2.jpg
Very cool if they are baby nassarius!
 
Looks like it. I've got about two dozen of the tiny little suckers in my tank and they're an exact match to what you've observed. Free snails!
Yea I'll never complain about a free CUC, I'm just surprised they're making it. Thanks blax.
 
I hope they are nassarius snails, they are cool to watch! Just to be safe google welk snails and compare. A few weeks ago I noticed an empty bumble bee snail shell, about a week I found a welk snail eating another, he is in snail heaven. Welks are snail eaters and not what you want if you have other snails as part of your cuc.
 
I hope they are nassarius snails, they are cool to watch! Just to be safe google welk snails and compare. A few weeks ago I noticed an empty bumble bee snail shell, about a week I found a welk snail eating another, he is in snail heaven. Welks are snail eaters and not what you want if you have other snails as part of your cuc.
I'm going to keep a closer eye on them, I did Google them, very similar in looks with a few distinctive markings and characteristics. Thanks for the heads up.
 
So as the title implies, could it be so? My tank was set up using LR/LS from @LiverockRocks, absolutely amazing stuff despite the unwanted hitch hikers, but that's the dice we roll and know going in there's going to be something in there you won't want. None the less it's been great.

To the point, the tank was set up on 3/29/22, shortly after I added 6 Trochus and 3 Nassarius snails, but since Father's Day weekend my daughter noticed several tiny lil snails moving about the rocks, glass and substrate. I've read where it's extremely rare for Nas snails to breed and or even have anything survive if they do. I have these lil guys popping up all over. The 2 on the Zoas are small and I've seen several more even smaller. Could they have breed in my tank? Thoughts? TIA.
Nas1.jpg
Nas2.jpg
Took another look at their coloration and considering you think they hatched in the aquarium, they are whelks. Best to remove them.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 35.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 15.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new