Natural gas and reef tank?

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I had part of my furnace replaced which lead to some gas pipes being moved around. There has been a slight smell of natural gas since they have done this. It’s certainly going away as there are no leaks. My concern is that I can slightly smell it in my living room near where my tank is. Is there anything I can do to make sure my tank stays safe. Everything seems fine for now. I turned off my skimmer because of the air intake. Has anyone had a similar experience? Should I worry? Again there are no leaks in the pipes. This is a residual smel from when they were working on the furnace.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday I had part of my furnace replaced which lead to some gas pipes being moved around. There has been a slight smell of natural gas since they have done this. It’s certainly going away as there are no leaks. My concern is that I can slightly smell it in my living room near where my tank is. Is there anything I can do to make sure my tank stays safe. Everything seems fine for now. I turned off my skimmer because of the air intake. Has anyone had a similar experience? Should I worry? Again there are no leaks in the pipes. This is a residual smel from when they were working on the furnace.

Separate from the tank issues...

Did some one take a sniffer (combustible gas detector) to the joints to check for leaks? We tend to lose our ability to smell NG after a period of time. If they didn't use a sniffer then call the gas company, they'll be happy to come check.

PS - don't let anyone use dish soap on joints to check for leaks. There is specific fluid to use to check for gas leaks that won't harm pipe joints like dish soap will.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Separate from the tank issues...

Did some one take a sniffer (combustible gas detector) to the joints to check for leaks? We tend to lose our ability to smell NG after a period of time. If they didn't use a sniffer then call the gas company, they'll be happy to come check.

PS - don't let anyone use dish soap on joints to check for leaks. There is specific fluid to use to check for gas leaks that won't harm pipe joints like dish soap will.
I will doubt check, thanks!

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are smelling is what they put in NG so you know its present. NG is odorless. Its ok.
Should I be concerned that there is a lingering smell since parts were replaced?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have it checked. We have Gas here too, Had a furnace replaced a year or so ago, and never smelled a thing. I had a tank in the basement 30 feet if that from it, and never had any issues.
If you are still smelling it turn it of and have it checked. They have Gas sniffers.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are still smelling it turn it of and have it checked. They have Gas sniffers.

2nd that!!

Should I be concerned that there is a lingering smell since parts were replaced?

They add Sulphur compounds to the gas so you can smell it since NG is odorless. Call the gas company, they have people whose job it is to check for this stuff.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am happy to report that the national grid tech came out and tested all the joints in and around the gas line. He reports no leaks and no concerns. Thanks for the help guys.
Did the smell go away?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The placebo effect is a funny thing....
If the smell lingers, I'd air it out for a day, open a window and run a fan.
Then close it up, if the smell comes back then leak.

We had a f$%& up here in New England where the gas company over pressurized some lines and caused fires and extensive appliance damage. Due to the cleanup volume, they hired non skilled labor for techs. A buddy in the affected area bought his own sniffer, a couple hundred dollars for piece of mind.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the smell lingers, I'd air it out for a day, open a window and run a fan.
Then close it up, if the smell comes back then leak.

We had a f$%& up here in New England where the gas company over pressurized some lines and caused fires and extensive appliance damage. Due to the cleanup volume, they hired non skilled labor for techs. A buddy in the affected area bought his own sniffer, a couple hundred dollars for piece of mind.

We use sniffers here during our audits. The things you learn in energy efficiency programs. That stuff in NE was a disaster. Better tool to have is the shutoff tool. Just in Case.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back