Natural-Looking Aaquascape

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you create and maintain a natural-looking aquascape in a reef aquarium?

maroonclown65

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want specifically a natural look I would make a thicker base and more of a stack of rocks or a mountain, this would also allow alot of space for coral however this might be a rather unattractive look. So if you want a better looking scape I would add arches and caves and rocks with holes as well as unique looking rocks so you can make a more impressive, intriguing, and eye catching scape for your tank. My scape for reference

Attachments

• 20240404_195303.jpg
    20240404_195303.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 52

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want specifically a natural look I would make a thicker base and more of a stack of rocks or a mountain, this would also allow alot of space for coral however this might be a rather unattractive look. So if you want a better looking scape I would add arches and caves and rocks with holes as well as unique looking rocks so you can make a more impressive, intriguing, and eye catching scape for your tank. My scape for reference
I like the variety of your aquascape! I Agee with what you said. find some pictures online of the ocean and try to mimic the look of it! Or do what I did and look at a ton of build threads and try to pick out one you like and put a spin on the scape they did haha

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a more "natural" look I would definitely use real ocean liverock as it will come with tons of awesome critters that will make your tank look like the the bottom of the ocean. I also think that the more traditional "pile" of rocks looks more natural compared to some of the new negative space aquascape trends.

Also running lights "less blue" looks more natural IMO.
20240413_154454.jpg

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did the broken up Marko rock superglued into a crazy structures. I built it so that the corals themselves complete the structure

And here it is now covered in corals.
IMG_1746.jpeg

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a big part of making a tank look natural is to shield the back glass from light so it seems black.
In the sea we don't see the back of the ocean. :grimacing-face:

steveweast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “Natural” look is kind of a broad term subject to a vast range of opinions. Just creating what you think looks best is the way to go. Aquascape for yourself and not others…..although looking at other’s examples can help determine what floats your boat. That said….my preference has always been to not completely fill the tank and to leave some top to bottom open space. This….coupled with a kept clean back panel…..always has been what is most appealing for me.

Attachments

• IMG_5186.png
    IMG_5186.png
    816.8 KB · Views: 16

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back