Natural sea water required testing?

aquatic26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are a lot of posts on using natural sea water, but I haven't found an answer to this question yet. What specific tests (other than checking salinity) do I need to do on natural sea water to determine if it is safe for my tank? I live a block from two of the top 5 cleanest bays in the U.S. and would love to do the initial fill of my tank with NSW instead of preparing 15 gallons of water at one time. TIA!

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with all the regular tests done with any reef system. Since there's a lot we can't test for if tests show good parameters I'd run the water through a carbon filter either before or as you fill yuor system.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you believe it’s clean, and you are not near a river entrance, I’d just test salinity. In seawater, major and minor ions track with salinity.

If you think it may be polluted, you need icp to check metals.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use nsw and I tested at the beginning ammonia nitrate phosphate and ph Alk all bang on small trace of nitrate. I use it in my native cold water and my tropical marine BTA tank . The only thing I check every time is salinity . Due to rain fall or no rain changing salinity . But every thing is thriving in both tanks . I Don’t use skimmers just weekly small water change

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using NSW for 30+ years in south Florida. Always collect offshore on my boat, or ocean inlet on incoming to high tide. Tested many times, not much fluctuation. Basically pH is 8.3-8.4, salinity 1.026, KH always around 7, cal around 415, mag 1300, PO4 and NO3 have always been 0 or undetectable.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back