Natural ways of keeping sand bed clean?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using an RO/DI system to mix salt with? Or do you buy your saltwater from an LFS or use straight tap water?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely see large snails like conchs survive long term (1 year +) The small snail species that will reproduce as mentioned above are good choices IMO. Keep in mind endoliths will burrow into the sand grains and are arguably an important part of a healthy ecosystem. They will discolor sand sooner or later. Periodicly you might siphon off the top layer, soak in H2O2 for a day or so, rinse well then return to your system.
most people I see with conchs say they can live a few years or more. They do eat a lot, so mind that.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to conchs, Theyre very good at what they do, but the eat alot and ive had mine for over a year now and it still has substantial growing to do. But I have two in a 60 breeder and thats pushing it for that space.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised no one has suggested a big tiger pistol shrimp. They constantly turn sand over and kick up detritus build up from behind the rocks to be filtered out. Great for tight spots that can't be vacuumed.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised no one has suggested a big tiger pistol shrimp. They constantly turn sand over and kick up detritus build up from behind the rocks to be filtered out. Great for tight spots that can't be vacuumed.
Depending on why snails are dying, its likely they'll die too.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent had a response from the op, but something going on is not crustacean friendly that is going on. My bet is either copper in the water or too high nitrates w/poor acclimation. In my experience cuc will appear fine for several days but quickly decline if acclimation isnt done properly, specifically with varying salinity and or high nitrates.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
+1000 to diamond goby. Ive never seen a fish constantly work and keep sand so clean, I have a diamond and a golden head goby and the diamond is a 100% harder worker on the sand. Pearly white sand, never bothers other fish but will also take no crap from other fish too. It will fight back.
Totally. And Dimond does not take sand higher than 2 inches. ...

For sand cleaning- diamond gobi is the solution.

Does anyone have solution for hair algae (green and brown)? Anyone with personal experience?

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally. And Dimond does not take sand higher than 2 inches. ...

For sand cleaning- diamond gobi is the solution.

Does anyone have solution for hair algae (green and brown)? Anyone with personal experience?
If you're talking strictly CUC solutions, a bunch of large mexican turbos and a short spine urchin fixed my hair algae problems.

OP
OP
P

Pimba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and do we know OPs tank size?
Hi all, thanks for the replies. Answering a few questions that was asked.

Tank size is 4ft, 350L (RS reefer 350)
Been running for 7 months now
I use RODI water with 0 TDS

It has nitrates between 20-50ppm and po4 at 0.5ppm ( working on them with carbon dosing phosphate Rx)

Regarding Copper.
It actually tested there's copper in it with the Hanna HR tester. Since then I've used cuprisorb and now it reads 0.5ppm which is within the error margin of Hanna HR copper tester.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the nitrates or phosphates are higher, then most of the sensitive snails will not last long... conchs included.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Pimba I have 2 conchs they don't do a good job of keeping the sand clean but they are awesome entertainment. Snails need iron as a note. Unfortunately there is a jihad against iron in the aquarium. I stopped losing snails when I started dosing iron. I have had one of my conches for 8 years. They are very long lived.

I can say in my tank the sand is spotless white with my two signal gobies. I can also say there are a million burrows and mazes under all of my rocks. Tanks must be goby proofed to be dealt with. Also I have to switch out sand from my sump to ensure they have food. I am working to get them on prepared food but it takes time.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge advocate of bacteria for cleaning sand beds. Water away, purple non sulfer bacteria, microbacter clean, fritz 409, etc.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 is pretty high for most inverts. There is no absolute number on this. Most don't even notice a slow down in activity if there is not death.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 16 15.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 60 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back