Naughty Maroon Clown

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jaysushi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jaysushi

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 3, 2016
Messages
328
Reaction score
311
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when I added my first fish, it was a pair of gold nugget maroons. They were paired at the lfs I went to. I own a cadlights versa 42gal. I decided to add a melanurus wrasse, and I noticed the female will some times give the wrasse a light nip on the tail fin. The male is super chill, it is the female that is being naughty lol. Some times the wrasse won't take it and nip back. The wrasse I've had for about 2 weeks.

Now my question is, should I get rid of the maroon clowns? I want to add more fish later down the road and don't want the female to be a problem in causing stress to the fish I get. Don't have any set fish in mind yet. Any suggestions that would be acceptable to have with a maroon pair if I decide not to get rid of them.
 
I've heard tomato clowns are trouble!!
 
It is a gold nugget maroon clownfish. They are a pair. Idk if they are the same as tomato clowns.
Only the female can be a problem some times. The male is super chill and just hangs out lol.
The female is the only one that nips the wrasse every now and again. It looks like a light nip, nothing too crazy.

I'm afraid to add something that is peaceful and the female clown goes berserk on the new addition.
 
It is a gold nugget maroon clownfish. They are a pair. Idk if they are the same as tomato clowns.
Only the female can be a problem some times. The male is super chill and just hangs out lol.
The female is the only one that nips the wrasse every now and again. It looks like a light nip, nothing too crazy.

I'm afraid to add something that is peaceful and the female clown goes berserk on the new addition.
Liveaquaria.com has a great compatibility chart for adding fish. I use it all the time!
 
How big is the tank?
A couple months after you remove the female the male will become a female and you're back in the same boat.
In medium to smaller tanks you need to add fish with attitudes that can stand up to an established female Maroon, she is only going to get worse as she matures.
 
@Tahoe61 Crap, you're right. I forgot all about that, that they can change genders.
My tank is 42gal in the display.

That is odd, because according to LiveAquaria, the Melanurus wrasse is considered peaceful. He is doing fine for now though. Been in the tank for a couple weeks. No signs of stress, eating normally and swimming around.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW LONG HAVE YOU PERSONALLY KEPT YOUR LONGEST-SERVING CURRENT RESIDENT?

  • Under 1 year

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 to under 3 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 3 to under 5 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 5 to under 10 years

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 10 to under 20 years

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 20+ years

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • I’ve lost track

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new