Nearly Aquired 6 Line Wrasse & Flame Hawkfish Not Eating Aggressively? Help

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, about 10 days ago I bought a 6 line wrasse and a Flame Hawkfish. I work at my LFS so I bought the 6 Line directly from a new shipment in its original bag from our supplier, it never made contact with the stores water, the Flame Hawk on the other hand had been at the store for a while.

What's concerning me is that neither the 6 Line nor the Flame Hawk are eating aggressively; I've seen them eat, but only a few bites, passively, not enthusiastically like most fish. Aside from that, both the fish are behaving normally and show no signs of stress or disease; the 6 Line grazes my live rock for pods and the Flame Hawk perches around the tank, all is normal, except when i feed prepared foods once a day, they ignore it or barely eat.

I feed once a day at around 8pm, when the blue lights are on, I tried feeding when the daytime lights were on to see if that was the culprit, but no luck. I rotate between frozen brine shrimp and freeze dried brine shrimp, although I've been feeding more freeze dried recently as it soaks up more vitamins. I enrich each meal with selcon, garlic extreme and vitamarin M. I've tried both frozen and freeze dried brine shrimp, as well as flaked food but it has no affect on my 6 Line and Hawkifish's appetite. The other fish in the tank are 2 percula clowns, a Bangaii Cardinalfish, and a Firefish Dartfish, which all eat more aggressively, the tank is a 40 gallon breeder.

So what I want to know is whether or not this is something i should be worried about? Do some fish just have less of an appetite than other fish? I've seen them both eat so at least i know they're getting some nutrition, they just aren't eating a lot or with much enthusiasm which is odd, as most fish are savages at dinner time. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never see my wrasse eat. It picks at rocks sometimes and swims around a lot. I do feed live black and white worms so it might snatch on or 2 while swimming and i dont see it happen.

redeyejedi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is no dig at all but.... as you work in a fish store you prob know better than most people to make sure a fish is eating properly before buying, i thought that was a number one rule when buying fish. But if like you say its eating then i wouldn't worry.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back