Need a Gramma expert

Michelle B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I notice my Royal Gramma has been breathing with his mouth open like he is gasping for a couple weeks. Tonight I looked in his mouth and it looks like there is something in there? Any ideas? TIA
Screenshot_20231121_221542_Signal.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello,
I notice my Royal Gramma has been breathing with his mouth open like he is gasping for a couple weeks. Tonight I looked in his mouth and it looks like there is something in there? Any ideas? TIA
Pic very fuzzy to clearly see but these fish are susceptible to flukes and as for what’s in it’s mouth could be a parasitic isopod but hard to confirm again based on picture quality

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

The picture isn't super clear, but it looks like there is a pinkish lump in its mouth? If so, that is most likely a thyroid tumor called a goiter. In humans, that is caused by a lack of iodine, but in fish, there are substances in aquariums called "goitrogens" that can cause this. Supplementing with iodine in the food can sometimes help keep it from starting up, but once started, there really isn't any treatment.

Jay

OP
OP
Michelle B

Michelle B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture isn't super clear, but it looks like there is a pinkish lump in its mouth? If so, that is most likely a thyroid tumor called a goiter. In humans, that is caused by a lack of iodine, but in fish, there are substances in aquariums called "goitrogens" that can cause this. Supplementing with iodine in the food can sometimes help keep it from starting up, but once started, there really isn't any treatment.

Jay
Thank you Jay very much. Should I do a water test and check iodine levels? Anything I can do to keep the fish comfortable? I feel bad for him.

Thanks again!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay very much. Should I do a water test and check iodine levels? Anything I can do to keep the fish comfortable? I feel bad for him.

Thanks again!

Sorry - adding iodine to the water won't help. The fish need to get the iodine in their food, and once the goiter has grown large, it just doesn't get reduced by iodine, even in the food. I've also tried L-thyroxine and that didn't work well either.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back