Need a new sump

mdh71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a reefer 425, about 2 weeks ago I noticed water in the bottom of the cabinet by the 1 inch gab to the left of the sump. I could also feel wetness at the bottom front of the sump. I could see that water was dripping at the bottom of the tank around the drain pipe. I ordered some replacement o-rings and put up plastic to redirect the water into the sump.

I continued to notice water on the left side of the sump, I put a couple of the absorber drying chamois on the left of the sump and was able to wring out water there times a day, it kept the water off the floor. I replaced the o-rings and the dripping stopped, but I continued to see water in the cabinet. I redid the plastic to drain into the sump. I installed paper towels on the around the top edge of the sump and they remained dry. I could not figure out where the water was coming from.

Today my plan was to remove the sump and place a 20 high tank in its place temporary to see if the sump was leaking. I planned to clean out the sump, then put it is the basement and fill it up so I could see if it was leaking and where. Unfortunately while cleaning the sump I managed to break the glass.

The good news is that it has been a few hours and the cabinet is completely dry. Now I have to figure out what I want to do about the sump. Since it is not leaking I have a little time to figure out what I want to do. I had a v2 tank, so I do not know if I want to upgrade to a v3 sump. I do not know if anyone has done this and drilled the 3 holes to attach the piping. I could also get a different sump, a roller mat one would be nice. Does anyone have any suggestions?

nezw0001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like lifereef products and they are very customizable to meet your needs but I think the first question you will have to decide is what do you feel is currently missing from your current set up AND is the cost of upgrading worth it to you to fix those missing items.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back