Need a supplement light?

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I purchased my first marine tank earlier this year (30 USG), my experience before that was all freshwater, so I never had to worry much about lighting. The tank I purchased came with an LED hood light, specs: 12V, 27W, 12964 lux, 990Kelvin. The issue is that its half white, half blue, so does not provide much of a spectrum. It only allows 4 white settings and 2 blue settings, so I don't have the ability to amend the spectrum to fully highlight corals or fish.

The corals I want to grow are all softies - Xenia, Zoa, Kenya Tree, Toadstoods and mushrooms. I am right to assume these types don't need strong lighting?

Without buying a whole new light system (I can't afford it) would it make any difference if I supplement my existing light by adding a small clip on light that would provide more spectrum with purple and UV?

Also I have noticed that in the specs, they total up the amount of LED wattage to give a total which is quite sneaky as I would not choose to have the LEDs all on all the time, the individual LED wattage is what matters. For example a 72 wattage light sounds great, until you realise there are 24 LEDs, only about a third of which you would want on at a time, and each are 3w power (3x24=72)

Any help/suggestions?

Thanks

Scott

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a PAR meter you won’t know for sure.

You might consider the used market. One OceanRevive T247 would cover that & used they run around $100 ($200 new).

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back